Why can't I pick up PC networks on parallel windows?

Reaction score
I have Tversity loaded on my windows desktop machine and I can pick up the server with any other windows machine. I have tried to pick it up on my Mac running XP on parralels and can't seem to get it to find the UPNP under my network places. Any help? Is it because it's running parallels and not actually a windows based machine? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
a few things I can think of off hand -

First a question - can you see other computers on the network in your network browser if you're looking for a shared folder or whatnot?

My initial thoughts of what could be the problem:

1) In a VM you have various options for handling ethernet connectivity. In parallels you have: Shared, Bridged, Host Only and no networking. Assuming you can access the internet, then you have either shared or bridged. If you have shared, that's probably where the problem lies, especially if you can't see other computers in the network or their shared resources but can ping other computers and access the internet. shared networking basically turns your mac into a mini router and between parallels and osx you are doing nat - this can (and usually does) break windows networking. If it's set to shared, try setting it to bridged (will have to be done with vm turned off I'm sure) and then making sure your windows VM has an appropriate IP on your network.

2) There is a firewall that is preventing upnp from propogating to your OS - see: How Windows Firewall affects the UPnP framework in Windows XP Service Pack 2

3) There is something else with parallels breaking that level of access - I use vmware, so I don't know much about parallels in terms of any additional tools they have you install that could interfer with your networking

4) perhaps your AV is somehow blocking upnp access?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.