Mac Books for Compter Newbies

S

spudicus

Mac Books for Computer Newbies

Hello,

I am looking for suggestions of Mac books to give to a complete computer newbie. The more hand holding the better. My wife just bought a new 15" power book and we gave her iBook to my 75 year old Mom. My Mom has never used a computer before so she has no concept of how a GUI works. I will be handling any admin type tasks but I want to encourage independent problem solving when it comes to using the little beastie. We need a book that will walk her through basics like what is a window and where did it go when I clicked on something else.

The iBook is running Panther so I'd prefer books that are Panther aware.

So far I have found:
Old Fart's Guide to the Macintosh by Sam Burrish
The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Mac OS X by Kate Binder

Thanks!

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I can't think of any books off the bat, but one solid suggestion I have would be for her to check her local library or Senior Center for a free computer class. This would give her an overview of how computers work in the first place.

In my community, we've created a generation of monsters-- all over 65 years of age-- who know as much about computers as the kids we're raising. So here my generation sits, in the middle of it all. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.