• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

elgato250 plus vs pinnacle video capture for vhs->macbook

Reaction score
i know this discussion has been tooled over a lot, im just looking for people with hands on experience. i have lots of old vhs tapes i want to put onto my computer, edit them, then burn them onto dvd. since i have the aluminum macbook, no firewire (insert apple slander here ________). so that rules out the canopus advc110. id rather not convert vhs to dvd, handbrake, edit, then re-burn. so the only other options ive come across are the elgato250 plus, or the pinnacle video capture, both which transmit via usb. im a hobbyist, not a professional, but i would like to get the best quality i can (i know vhs already is sub standard quality) and i dont care much about the tv tuning capabilities of elgato. anybody use either of these two devices and have pros/cons/recommendations? thanks

Reaction score
I hope my answer helps you a bit: I have a 24" iMac and I bought Pinnacle video capture(great product which I also used on my pc). I transfered all my vhs tapes that I had to iTunes to watch any time I want, then I transfered those to iMovie to edit them, then I burned them to dvd's to have a back up.

It has been a long time since I've done that, so I don't remember if you can somehow, improve the image quality right before you transfer the video but definetely you can do lots of good editing with iMovie but like you said, the quality of vhs movies is not that good.

I am not familiar with el gato 250 but you can't go wrong with Pinnacle.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.