Repair Issue

Reaction score
I bought an iMAc back in October from a local Best Buy. Yesterday it fell off a table and was damaged. I took it to the Best Buy and they refused to repair it because I didn't purchase a care plan or the like when I bought it. What do I do now? I'm 225 miles from the closest Apple store. I cant believe Apple would sell a product in my town and not provide a place to get it fixed. Help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Either way, (repair it at an Apple store or authorized Apple repair facility) it's going to cost you for the labor and parts. Since Best Buy is an authorized Apple repair service facility, why not have them repair it? Of course it would be wise to get an estimate from them first.

There are also several good authorized Apple repair service centers which you can access on the web. Here's one: Link

Apple sales are world wide. Do you expect them to have an Apple store everywhere their products are sold?

Regards.

Reaction score
Here's my story: my daughter made a similar mistake, her aluminum MacBook took a fall onto carpet, damaging the display. The Apple store quoted $1249 for the display, just shy of the cost of a new computer. I sent it to a place called TechRestore.com, who quoted $599. After the display was repaired, it turned out the fall damaged the hard drive too. So the whole repair was under $750, waaaaay less than Apple was going to charge. The repair looks perfect, I'm very picky and can't tell it was broken.

OP
B
Reaction score
As I stated, Best Buy will not take it because I didn't purchase a support plan from them when I purchased the iMac. They won't give me an estimate, they won't give me the time of day.

I don't expect Apple to have a store everwhere they sell product. I was hoping Apple would require retailers like Best Buy to repair items when the customer does not purchase a support plan but is willing to pay for the repairs out of pocket. Apparently Apple is willing to allow Best Buy to cram it's support plan down our throats. I'm surprised Apple allowed itself to be pushed around like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I bought an iMAc back in October from a local Best Buy. Yesterday it fell off a table and was damaged. I took it to the Best Buy and they refused to repair it because I didn't purchase a care plan or the like when I bought it. What do I do now? I'm 225 miles from the closest Apple store. I cant believe Apple would sell a product in my town and not provide a place to get it fixed. Help!

Use this locator:

Apple - Service Provider Locator

It will help you find all places certified by Apple to do your repair with either carry-in or on-site service. Since you bought the machine less than a year go, it shouldn't cost you a thing.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It will help you find all places certified by Apple to do your repair with tither carry-in or on-site service. Since you bought the machine less than a year go, it shouldn't cost you a thing.

Did you read his original post? He said it fell off a table and sustained accidental damage. No way Apple or any authorized Apple service provider will repair it at no cost.

Regards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As I stated, Best Buy will not take it because I didn't purchase a support plan from them when I purchased the iMac. They won't give me an estimate, they won't give me the time of day.

I don't expect Apple to have a store everwhere they sell product. I was hoping Apple would require retailers like Best Buy to repair items when the customer does not purchase a support plan but is willing to pay for the repairs out of pocket. Apparently Apple is willing to allow Best Buy to cram it's support plan down our throats. I'm surprised Apple allowed itself to be pushed around like that.

I just spoke with the "Geek" guys at my local Best Buy store (Fort Worth, Texas) and here's what they told me about repairing an Apple computer that had no Best Buy support plan:

They will gladly take the machine and send it off to an authorized Apple repair facility at the customer's cost. Since Best Buy does not do Apple repairs in house anyway, they would do the same thing for a machine which was covered under their repair plans. Of course, in that situation there would be no cost to the customer.

I don't know which store you're doing business with, but It might be to your advantage to speak with the store manager and find out what's going on. It sounds to me like someone at your BB store is not giving you the correct information.

As far as Apple's dealing with Best Buy or any other authorized reseller, I'm certain that they (Apple) first makes sure the reseller can comply with Apple's business practices and dealing with customers. Apple has consistently been number one with outstanding customer support. If the store you're dealing with does not accept your machine for repair even after speaking with the store manager, then I would contact Apple directly and file a complaint about them.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.