• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

"allmac" feels like they ripped me off!

Reaction score
I have an Emac, one of the first 700mhz, with a combo drive, bought it brand new, and really haven't had any trouble with it in all these years.

I recently have had a hard time running new apps because of my 10.2.8 "handy cap". So I decided I should upgrade to Tiger.

I've got a gig of Ram and figured Tiger would be a good install to extend my computers life for a few years.

I ran across this ad:

SFR-6080 OS, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, (DVD), eMac, Apple Mac iPod

It' s from a company called allmac. Sounded like a good deal, 50 bucks for tiger! Unfortunately I got my money's worth.

They sent me the bundled "gray" disks that come with your computer. These disks are locked, and of coarse they don't work on my machine.

I've tried contacting them many times, no response. The disks say on them "this software is part of a hardware bundle purchase- not to be sold separately"

In the picture fo
r the ad, they show the retail disks, which is what I thought I was getting.

First question, Did allmac break the law, and should I report them to Apple? I'm pretty sure I'll be taking allmac to court just to get my money back, but beyond that, shouldn't they be stopped from doing this to others?

Second, I did get a paper saying that I own the rights to Tiger, but since I got it via this seemingly fraudulent disks is it valid.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not sure on the law and will let someone else who knows comment, but they ripped you off and lied to you. I clicked the URL and it shows the Black DVD and the iWork Trial that came with the boxed Tiger. I have that same package here. What they sent you were the gray machine specific version of Tiger.

They claim it works with an EMac. Maybe it was for a specific EMac model but for sure not yours! At the very least it's false advertising as far as I am concerned.

Good luck and for sure keep us posted and thanks for the Heads Up!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
C
Reaction score
Strange, after weeks of not reply. After posting this thread, and sending them an email telling them I was going to report them to Apple; I got a response.

I've told them that if they find a way to get me a legal copy of Tiger, and take down their the add they are currently using (with the picture of the retail Tiger, and not the picture of the gray disks) all will be well and good on my end...

Let's see if they follow up!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Good for you - glad you're forcing them to correct the false ad, in addition to refunding your money. Do keep us posted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.