• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Keyboards for garageband.

Reaction score
So do I need a like new keyboard, I mean just to be able to control the keyboard in the program. I've read stuff about midi keyboards and I was wondering if you need to have that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Well, if you're planning on actually creating music then yes, you'll need a midi keyboard. Using a typing keyboard is a gimmicky kind of thing which gets old in about half a second. If you live near a Guitar Center, they're always having deals on Midi keyboards. I got my M-Audio (Oxygen) for less than $150. While it's not weighted (that would be a lot more expensive), it is sensitive to pressure. It also has controls for pre-sets (user definable) and percussion stuff which I haven't dealt with yet.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Yep - any MIDI keyboard will do but think about what your needs are - I use a Kawai digital piano with weighted keys so I can have the full range of keys and action of a real piano along with the realistic sampled audio.

Using a Roland MIDI-USB adapter I plug in to GarageBand and everything works beautifully - pressure, velocity, etc...

I wouldn't like it very much if I was using a pressure-sensitive-only setup but mileage varies between pianists. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.