• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video Card Question

M

mytoyo

I plan on buying a G4 Dual 500mhz which currently has Radeon 9000

I need a better video card for my 3d program, is the Radeon 9800 worth it?Would i see improvements if i'm running at 500mhz.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
is it the 128RAM card? what 3d program are you running btw? Dual processors are great at rendering tasks.

OP
M

mytoyo

its the 64mb one, i'm planning to run Maya.
We tested the graphics card on one of my scenes and it was struggling.
Thats why i was a little hesitant on buying it, if i buy the Radeon 9800 would it increase or would the 500mhz hold me back on processing?

OP
M

mytoyo

See my friend thats helping me on my 3d project has a Power Mac G4 Dual 1.25Ghz and Paint Effects runs great.

Is my problem the video card or the processors?...or both?

btw below is what he is selling

G4 Dual 500mhz
2 gigs of memory
2 160 gig HD
Super Drive
Radeon 9000 64mb
17" Flat Panel

for $1,000 USD

is that a deal?

how hard would it be to sell the 17" Mac panel?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
your friends comp is the same as mine...the radeon 9000 64mb is whats in mine. Is your friends comp using the same 9000 card? Alias claims any G4 or G5 can run Maya 6...although never saying how well. The deal's pretty good - and 17" studio displays still go for a good price.

OP
M

mytoyo

thank you so much for your replies!!!

so btw should i get the video card? Like i said i want to be able to notice a difference but the dual 500mhz speed has me worried about shelling out $300bux for a video card.

any one else have a suggestion?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.