• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Powerpoint Movies Help

Reaction score
Hi

I'm hoping someone can help. We don't do much in powerpoint but I need to produce a presentation that includes movies. However I am working on mac osx 10.4 in powerpoint 2004 and the final presentation will be played on a PC. It won't let me insert .wmv files into powerpoint and I hear .mov files won't play on PC. Is there a cheap way round this or should I just design the presentation in mac and then add the movies at the last minute on a PC?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers...Stu

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (white) 2.4Ghz 4GB RAM OSX 10.5+, iPod Touch (2G) 16GB, iSight iMac G5, iPod Nano (3G)
Get Flip4mac.

Then your WMV will work on your Mac and the PC. I just went through this exercise a few moments ago. I am the only guy who works on a Mac (running as a Mac) in my office, except the graphic designer.

We both have flip4mac WMV.

Google it and install.

JMC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You will have to encode the movie using the Cinepak codec to get it to work cross platform

But you still need to test it on a PC to make sure

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks both for your help. Will look into this and see how I get on

Thanks again...Stu

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (white) 2.4Ghz 4GB RAM OSX 10.5+, iPod Touch (2G) 16GB, iSight iMac G5, iPod Nano (3G)
Get Flip4mac.

Then your WMV will work on your Mac and the PC. I just went through this exercise a few moments ago. I am the only guy who works on a Mac (running as a Mac) in my office, except the graphic designer.

We both have flip4mac WMV.

Google it and install.

JMC

Additionally - although it will not say so - I think you will have to restart the computer once you install flip4mac (if you choose this path). I am also using QuickTime Pro which I fogot to mention, and also you may have to set the preferences of the file type *.wmv to 'always' use QuickTime to play these files. To do this -right click any file of the type - press and hold OPTION aka ALT - then select the program from the list - OR - browse for it.

Again - I do not know if you need to upgrade to QT Pro or not, or if you actually need to change the file type association; however, since flip4mac is a Quick Time expansion I assumed so, as I WAS using VLC to open the file type - WMV.

Because I either had already done this some time ago (as was the case with QT Pro) or did it when it was not immediately working - later on when it was still not working I figured out that I had to restart the machine.

JMC
:Smirk:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.