Problems with system preferences/background freezing

Reaction score
Hi,

I have had my MBP for almost a year and have had no problems at all up to now. Recently my roommate decided to change my background with an image she got from the internet (she saved it into the macintosh hd folder). Ever since then when I have tried to change it back, the tab for background/screensaver freezes and system preferences shuts down, I have tried relaunching it a million times, and also reset settings but it still freezes every time. I was wondering if it was to do with the file that she saved, but even when I have deleted it, system preferences still freezes. I am not sure what to do as everything else on my mac is working perfectly fine.
Does anyone have any answers/help on this please?! It would be of great help- I really don't want to be stuck with this background forever!

Thanks.

Reaction score
In your home folder (the one with the house icon), follow this path: Library/Preferences. In the preferences folder, delete the file com.apple.desktop (may have .plist on the end). Should probably then reboot.

Something you may also want to do is to run Disk Utility and repair permissions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.