Shackle Widget

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Downloaded this widget as it is not possible (that I can see) to resize an image placed on a email. Sometimes I just want to paste not attach, a small image virtually avatar size to the bottom of my email, and with AOL you can right click and get the menu option to "resize" the image. Not so with Mac Mail, so I got the Shackle widget for this, but when i tried to resize a long rectangular image it resized it to a square with equal pixel dimensions for height and width, which effectively distorted the image. No amount of re-entering the dimensions in the available fields did anything. Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution? Also - when I drag the image from my desktop to the widget, it keeps showing me the original (very first image that I resized on downloading) and not the new one that I am trying to resize? Hmmm...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Use Mac Mail, resize is built in.
Start an email > Insert a picture and the resize options are bottom right on the window ~ small, medium , large and actual size. The size of the message is given on the bottom left.
Note: Mail remembers which size was last used so remember to change it if necessary.
Preview can resize and has a crop option amongst all it's many attributes.

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Thanks I will try that, but I have another even bigger problem. Re the sizing - if needs be I can always use Photoshop (I created an action just for this) and resize it prior to inserting, but I will look into what you said as soon as I post this.

The bigger problem I am having though is that I spend my time/life in Photoshop. Not a guru by any means but I do use it in my work. Since getting my iMac I have tried to attach images to my email (jpeg) using the attach button. The iMac then attaches it to where it looks like a pasted image on the body of the email. I found out that if I ctrl click, I can choose to have it view as an icon, but when I send it to folk using a PC, they tell me they cannot open the files? They are just jpegs, universal format so to speak and not platform specific, so is there another way of attaching? I must confess I do find the what looks like "pasting" of the large image and then having to elect to show it as an icon an unnecessary extra step.

Thanks so much in advance for help with this. It actually caused all sorts of problems for me with Adobe, as when I tried to attach two images (Letters of Destruction) to an email to be sent to them to authorize a platform switch on my software, they kept saying they could not open them either, and kept insisting that I had pasted them on the email. So did not. :(

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Sorry - me again. I tried what you said and saw the sizing option on the bottom right, but what it did was to resize the pixel dimensions, but the image as viewed was still the same size. I could just see where as a result of the image probably being resized to 72 ppi that it was a lot more pixelated.

What I would like to do is to make the actual visual size of the image smaller. Where it "pasted" to an image let's say 4x4, I want to be able to reduce that to 1.5x1.5.

Not sure if one can paste examples onto this forum so let me try it another way. The first line below will represent for example the size of the image when dragged or pasted onto the email, the second is the size I would like it to be - visually.

________________________________ ____________

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
When sending to windows users always send pictures as "Windows friendly" the option is on the bottom of the attach browser window. Resizing the pictures first would help ~ set Preview > View to show Actual size and if saving as jpeg move the quality slider to best.
S.

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Shackle widget

Thanks, actually I did all of that prior to my original post and the solution seems to be NOT to choose "view as icon" that seems to the issue - don't know why. I guess I will just have to send my email with all the large preview images that Mac places on the email when one selects attach, and apologise to the recipients for the way in which they are receiving them. I LOVE my new Mac, but this is the only thing about it that really bugs me and that I would change if I could.
Thanks though

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.