Unknown ticking sound

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
I've been getting these random ticking sounds at random intervals sometimes and its driving me nuts. Its a single tick and has a sort of metallic feel to it, that kinda happens between a few seconds or so, but there's no fixed intervals. I've no idea where does it comes from, definitely not from the hardware, and the programs I usually turn on when I use my mac are: Safari, iTunes, Preview, MSN Messenger. Can anyone help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
If you go on facebook while you are on Safari, the "mysterious ticking noise" is probably someone trying to IM you via facebook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
What hardware are you using? Is it a macbook? and what version?

OP
calenerd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you go on facebook while you are on Safari, the "mysterious ticking noise" is probably someone trying to IM you via facebook.

But I'm not surfing facebook at the moment.

What hardware are you using? Is it a macbook? and what version?

2.4GHz 20" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac. I think its the mid 2007 version.

OP
calenerd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can anyone else help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Notebook
This is a simple, common mode of operation. What you are hearing is the arm moving over the media on your hard disk drive. Having worked in this industry for over twelve years, one of the priorities for manufacturers is to make the drive as quiet as possible. Sometimes you hear a click(especially on laptops), no biggie.

Ron Scott

OP
calenerd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is a simple, common mode of operation. What you are hearing is the arm moving over the media on your hard disk drive. Having worked in this industry for over twelve years, one of the priorities for manufacturers is to make the drive as quiet as possible. Sometimes you hear a click(especially on laptops), no biggie.

Ron Scott

I have a feeling its not that. I think the sound doesn't come from the hardware because it just simply doesn't sound so. I'm convinced its from the software from the sound of it.

Reaction score
Do you hear these sounds if you have your audio output turned off?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
B&W G3/400/1gig/OS 10.4
i would ask if it is coming from the speakers or the inside of the machine. if you are logged on to the 'net, it could be the sound your browser makes when it is accepting cookies or opening pages [didn't say "windows" did i...:Mischievous:].
if it is coming from the machine, however, that could be a bad thing, any flickering on the screen when it does it, or other corresponding reaction?

OP
calenerd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, it disappears when my speakers are off.

Reaction score
You should start a process of elimination. Create a different user. Log in as that user. Do nothing more than perhaps browse the internet. See if you still hear the clicks. If not, it is involved with something that you run or do in the main account. If you still hear them in the new account, it must be something at the system level or perhaps a poor connection on an audio line inside. Once you find something that makes a difference, we can go from there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.