a few basic questions about my new mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The New Macbook
Hi, just want to thank every one who has helped me with the switch. I am learning to love my new mac book.

Ok just a few basic questions.. The power source has 2 plugs. One directly from the charger however it can be removed and then a new thicker cord can be added.

Not sure if it is just something that I got because I am in Thailand or it is normal?
Also on my new mac aluminium what are the little green lights for? THere is a button and if I press it about 6 little lights lite up.

Also is it better to put it in sleep mode for a period of 24 hours or shut it off and recharge?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
I think there are only two differences: 1) without the cord, the power source is simply shorter, and 2) the extension has three prongs and the regular has two. At least on my MacBook here in the states. :)

The lights - I think those are the network card's lights....

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As for the lights, are you talking about on the bottom? If so, those show you the charge of the battery (the more lights, the more charge there is available).

As for the cord, the extension (AFAIK) is for just that - to give you some extra length.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The New Macbook
Yes perhaps it is just the prongs but why the extra cord for 3 prongs? Wierd.

And Im trying to make a movie and hating it already! So i tried to watch a tutorial and i get the Q quicktime symbol with a question mark in the center. And this is from the mac site.
Not loving the mac right now.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Are you making a movie or trying to watch one? The question mark probably means that something is wrong with the video.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
I would say it is better to turn off the Macbook rather then leave it in sleep for 24 hours, however i don't believe leaving it in sleep would do it any harm.

What file format is the tutorial in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I would recommend reading the User Guide that came with your MB. It explains all the basic features of the computer. Then if you click on Macintosh HD in the left pane of the Finder, you'll see a folder called User Guides and Information, which will have a pdf version of the MB user guide as well as the Leopard user guide. I love sitting down with a new piece of technology with its user guide and getting to know all about it.

But yes, the third prong of the extension cord is for those who want to use a grounded outlet.

The lights along the side indicate what your battery life is. (You can also click on the battery icon in the top right of your menu bar.)

You can go for weeks without every turning off your Macbook. It will still recharge in sleep. I hardly ever turn my MBP completely off unless I have to.

It sounds like the video tutorial might be offline, but you might be able to find some pointers under the Help Menu in iMovie. If not, I'm sure YouTube has some decent tutorials.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.