What Macbook should I get?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm from the UK, and starting University at the start of October. I'll be studying on a graphic design course, and it's been suggested that I buy a Macbook as apparently it's the case that most of the printers and clients that I'll have to work with will be on Macs.

Anyway, my question really is one of 'which MacBook should I get?'.

The most intensive thing really that it'll have to deal with will be 'large' Photoshop files. I don't know whether to go for the cheapest 13" Macbook, for example, or a more top-end one or even a Macbook Pro. I don't have a budget as such (I've got money from work), but obviously I don't want to spend more than is necessary!

The laptop would be used when away from my hackintosh desktop PC (Runs Leopard 10.5.6, it's a nice fast quad-core.)

My other question though is this: I've got confirmation from my University of choice that I have a place there, provided that I get the results I'm expecting. The Apple website offers discounts to those using .ac.uk email address suffixes, which obviously I don't yet have because I'm not there yet!

Does anyone know if confirmation is enough to get the educational discount? I'm 5 minutes away from the Milton Keynes Apple store, if it would be possible for me to do it there....

I'm looking to buy this Summer, around July-time, so that I can get everything set up properly. Unless there are any rumours about potential upgrades, obviously!

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You should get ed discount, but drop in to the Milton Keynes store and ask

You could pick up a MacBook aluminium or white. The white one is cheaper, so if you are on a budget get that one, its about £719, but you will be getting ed discount on top of that

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I would personally go for one of the aluminum ones. The bigger HD will be a plus for you.

One thing I would recommend is to get more RAM than is standard. Purchase the RAM independent of Apple and install it yourself though - it will be much cheaper. To do so read the instructions here.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies

How usable is 1280x800? I know there aren't any other choices, but it's just that I've never used a screen of that size before (I currently have a 24" widescreen with my desktop).

I'll probably end up getting the cheapest aluminium Macbook; as long as you think the performance will be alright with it. I would upgrade the memory though - I never realised how much of a rip-off Apple's prices were for memory..!!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I would upgrade the memory though - I never realised how much of a rip-off Apple's prices were for memory..!!
I remember seeing those prices for the first time :).

1280x800 is quite usable but I was coming from 1024x768 on my old laptop. I can only imagine that the resolution you're using is much larger. If you're really concerned, try it out at the Apple Store. It may look odd but it won't take long to get used to the new size.

EDIT: You can always plug it into your monitor when you are at home as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.