• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

new mac?????

L

loudy149

Ok heres the deal i'm going to buy my first mac but i don't know wich to buy. I've been leaing to the new imac or the mac mini. I need the know what mac would be a good deal. Or which has the best features!! please help!!!!!

email

[email protected]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
(This should probably be moved to the Switcher Hangout)

There are many differences between the mini and the iMac. Most importantly:

- The iMac has a faster processor
- The iMac has a built-in flat-panel monitor; the mini uses a seperate monitor
- The iMac comes with a keyboard and mouse; the mini does not
- The iMac costs several hundred dollars more.

There is also the eMac , which has sort of the same "guts" as the mini, but with a built-in 17" tube monitor and an included mouse and keyboard.

The mini is intended for switchers who already have a good PC setup and want to add a Mac without spending too much. These people can use the mini with their existing keyboard, mouse, monitor, and other items.

The iMac is an all-in-one package for people who want a good-looking computer system in one box.

An eMac is, depending on how you look at it, either a fleshed-out mini, or a cheaper iMac.

Reaction score
I think the iMac would be a way better choice over the mini. It will definatly have way more power. It's 400MHz faster, and a G5. If you ever get to see one in person, it will look so much better. It will just last longer overall, and be a better machine. Though it depends what you look on doing with the computer.

OP
B

bsatchmo

i would get the imac the only reason i could find use for a mini would be if you have a really powerful power book and you want something you can use at your desk but even at that the mactops can basically be turned into a desktop (hook up an external moniter to it) the imac is overall more powerfull but it costs a lot more but could save you in the long run

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I would go with the imac because it has every thing you need [keyboard, mouse, monitor] plus it has a G5 processor. Also there are no warranty issues with upgrading the RAM. On top of all that the imac can be enabled to hookup a second screen and have an extended desktop [the mini cant because it only has a single head video card.

Reaction score
A couple of good things in favour of the mini;
1. cost
2. Semi portable so that you can use it on different monitors quite easily, e.g dedicated monitor or big TV or something like that

It really depends on what you are doing with it

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
It doesn't really matter as you'll end up with both anyway.

If you buy the Mini you'll be so impressed that you'll beg steal or borrow the money for an iMac (preferably 20" +superdrive) whereas if you get an iMac you'll persuade yourself that you need a Mini to take with you on holiday or just becasue they look so cool.

So just go ahead an buy both now. ;)

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
If it is your only computer and you don't already have a good monitor, get the iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
personally id get the iMac over the mini everything is there and its more future proof plus looks so nice

OP
C

code777

iMac G5 all the way. minis are for people who want to "try" out Mac or people on a tight budget. Plus its not very powerful...

iMac iMac iMac G5!

OP
Q

quanz

I am in the same sort of situation. my story is I can either get a really nice mini, or a low end imac. I will be going to school for image arts and photograph, so photoshop will basically almost always be in use. but I want to be able to come home on some weekends, and on holiday, and keep my computer with me. the mini seems better for that. while the imac seems better for having in my dorm and working extended hours rendering images and maybe editing video.

basically, you can get a mac mini, with bluetooth, keyboard and mouse, and 1 gig of ram for less than the imac.

if i end up getting a better job it seems that the imac will be better, but I dont think i would need that.

going to the apple store might help, they cleared up some misconceptions that iI had with mac's in general, and seeing the imac 17" made me realize how massive that thing was, while still being portable enough.

keep your research up and maybe this thread will help both of us.

edit**
Does the imac have an expansion slot for extra ram, or would i need to take out the built in memory and sell it to put in a 512 stick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
quanz said:
Does the imac have an expansion slot for extra ram, or would i need to take out the built in memory and sell it to put in a 512 stick.

there is an expansion slot

OP
Q

quanz

benjamindaines said:
there is an expansion slot
I browsed around and found my answer, thank you kindly though.

i dont quite need 1 gig, but 512 might not be enough

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.