Thinking about switching back to Windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15.5" 2.4GHZ
I switched to Mac about 10month ago from PC (due to Vista). some of the issues I am having are:
- External monitor/key board. I usually open mbp and switch on and close the mbp and usually it's hit or miss, sometime it starts fine but other times I had to click on the mouse/keyboard to wake the computer and other times it just hangs (time for hard reboot).
-DVD burner. maybe there is something wrong with my burner, I've burn more bad ones than good ones. during the varifying state it fails. it has happen many times where MBP burned a DVD and it hangs up due it's unrecognizable files (all pictures). hard reboot does not fix this b/c it still tries to read dvd drive.
-I hate using finder as dvd burner. are there other options?
-I've experienced Mac hang up more often than PC.
- how do you uninstall applications s/w properly?
-Finder is not as good as windows explorer. when I am dealing with >1000 images, it gets quite frustrating to work with finder.
-some of my applications s/w (Nikon Capture NX, PS Bridge and Firefox) closes unexpectedly and had to be restarted.
-it seem like Mac Safari is always in the higher que compare to firefox

I would appreciated if anyone could advise on or tell what I am doing wrong.
I don't know why I still want to stay with Mac after all this problems (it's probably the dullness of how window works). I am beginning to think that PC's are more practical, so I am actually thinking about purchasing PC desktop for DVD burning and file organizing (on external HD).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Macs aren't for everyone.
Sounds like you would be happier with a Windows machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
-The wake issue could be a hardware problem, otherwise I don't know what is wrong.
-The problem burning DVDs could be with the media and not with the drive. I have found the slot loading drives found in MacBooks and MacBook Pros can be somewhat finicky about the brand of DVD. Try a different brand and see if that helps.
-There are lots of options for burning software, both commercial and free. Roxio's Toast is an excellent full featured suite, and then there are free alternatives such as Burn.
-The hangs you are experiencing could be due to a third party application or add-on. However it is very rare for a single program to hang the entire system in OS X. If an application hangs, it can be easily force quit by hitting Command+Option+Esc and selecting the program from the list.
-Most applications can be uninstalled by simply dragging their icon to the trash. If the software came with an installer, it is likely there is also an uninstaller on the disk image. In any case you can use free software such as AppCleaner to reliably remove all traces of the software.
-Finder works differently than Windows Explorer, and whether it is better or not is a matter of opinion. If you are having a hard time organizing photos, why not try iPhoto? It likely came with your Mac and makes organizing and finding photos a snap.
-If you are having trouble with applications crashing, maybe you should try running some maintenance on your machine. Download Onyx and allow it to run everything under the automated tab.
-I don't know what you mean by this, but you don't have to use Safari. If you are more comfortable with Firefox then use that.

PCs are no more or less practical or useful then a Mac. They are different for sure, but there are strong advantages and disadvantages to both. If you think you would be more comfortable with Windows then by all means stay with that.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I switched to Mac about 10month ago from PC (due to Vista). some of the issues I am having are:
- External monitor/key board. I usually open mbp and switch on and close the mbp and usually it's hit or miss, sometime it starts fine but other times I had to click on the mouse/keyboard to wake the computer and other times it just hangs (time for hard reboot).

Sounds like you would have been better off with a desktop. While you can certainly operate in "clamshell" mode, you do have to be patient while waking the machine from sleep (wait 30 seconds before waking with the keyboard). Otherwise, use a program like InsomniaX or Sleepless to prevent sleep mode entirely when closing the lid.

-DVD burner. maybe there is something wrong with my burner, I've burn more bad ones than good ones. during the varifying state it fails. it has happen many times where MBP burned a DVD and it hangs up due it's unrecognizable files (all pictures). hard reboot does not fix this b/c it still tries to read dvd drive.

Sounds like you might have a bad SuperDrive, these were almost the exact symptoms I experienced prior to having mine replaced under warranty.

-I hate using finder as dvd burner. are there other options?

Roxio's Toast or the free, open source Burn are better alternatives. The former, being the best option.

-I've experienced Mac hang up more often than PC.

Probably because you've been hard powering down your machine when you perceive it to be "locked up". Your filesystem is likely damaged and in need of repair.

- how do you uninstall applications s/w properly?

If the program came with an uninstaller, use that. Otherwise, use a program like AppZapper or AppDelete.

-Finder is not as good as windows explorer. when I am dealing with >1000 images, it gets quite frustrating to work with finder.

Try a program like CocoViewX.

-some of my applications s/w (Nikon Capture NX, PS Bridge and Firefox) closes unexpectedly and had to be restarted.

Again, probably a symptom of repeated forced shutdowns and a damaged filesystem and/or lack of maintenance being run with a program like Onyx

-it seem like Mac Safari is always in the higher que compare to firefox

Not sure what you mean by that.

I would appreciated if anyone could advise on or tell what I am doing wrong.
I don't know why I still want to stay with Mac after all this problems (it's probably the dullness of how window works). I am beginning to think that PC's are more practical, so I am actually thinking about purchasing PC desktop for DVD burning and file organizing (on external HD).

Macs are not for everyone. But your problems do seem fairly trivial if you are interested in working them out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I agree with ADKhikerVW.

Make an appointment with a Genius at an Apple store. They may want to take you MBP for testing. It should be waking up without issue. Also, your DVD shouldn't be creating coasters. So mention both problems to them.

I don't know if Onyx does it, so open Disk Utility in the Applications/Utilities folder, select you disk name and run 'Repair Disk Permissions'. To run the 'Repair Disk' option, I believe you have to start up from the install DVD to work on the internal drive.

When it comes to DVD discs, I only buy name brand discs because I was burned when I bought no-name discs.

Managing photos with Finder or Windows Explorer seems weird to me. I'd use a tool designed for that, such as iPhoto, Aperture, or Lightroom. If you insist on using the Finder, then good organization is needed and you can put Finder into an icon mode that will show thumbnails of the images, and make so that folder always opens in icon view. See the four squared button to the upper left and the gear popup button to figure that out.

It is very rare to see OS X do a blue screen of death, so something is up with your system. If you can narrow this down to one application causing the problem then focus on research that. Or perhaps you have heating issue which only Apple can fix. Narrowing down the cause is the goal.

As for applications quitting. Again, do some investigation about those specific apps. Also, considering upgrading to the current version if you haven't already.

What do you mean by "it seem like Mac Safari is always in the higher que compare to firefox"?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15.5" 2.4GHZ
-The wake issue could be a hardware problem, otherwise I don't know what is wrong. Wake issue occurs more often when I switch back and forth from my Samsung monitor to TV monitor.
-The problem burning DVDs could be with the media and not with the drive. I have found the slot loading drives found in MacBooks and MacBook Pros can be somewhat finicky about the brand of DVD. Try a different brand and see if that helps. As for DVD, I always use TDK/Sony and I do not think it's cheap media. I do however believe there might something wrong with super drive..
-There are lots of options for burning software, both commercial and free. Roxio's Toast is an excellent full featured suite, and then there are free alternatives such as Burn. I might actually try one of these s/w.
-The hangs you are experiencing could be due to a third party application or add-on. However it is very rare for a single program to hang the entire system in OS X. If an application hangs, it can be easily force quit by hitting Command+Option+Esc and selecting the program from the list. usually OS hang up occurs during start up and thus no option force quite. (I do have to admit that force quite is nice option though)
-Most applications can be uninstalled by simply dragging their icon to the trash. If the software came with an installer, it is likely there is also an uninstaller on the disk image. In any case you can use free software such as AppCleaner to reliably remove all traces of the software.just curious, would it clear everything out, meaning deleting everyting that is associated with the program (of course excluding the personal data stuff)
-Finder works differently than Windows Explorer, and whether it is better or not is a matter of opinion. If you are having a hard time organizing photos, why not try iPhoto? It likely came with your Mac and makes organizing and finding photos a snap. this I'm looking in to lightroom.
-If you are having trouble with applications crashing, maybe you should try running some maintenance on your machine. Download Onyx and allow it to run everything under the automated tab.
-I don't know what you mean by this, but you don't have to use Safari. If you are more comfortable with Firefox then use that.I usually start Firefox before Safari, but it Safari that starts much quicker

PCs are no more or less practical or useful then a Mac. They are different for sure, but there are strong advantages and disadvantages to both. If you think you would be more comfortable with Windows then by all means stay with that.
usually grass is always greener the other side. I will have my frustration both ways so maybe going dual system may not be a bad idea.

Again thanks for your advice.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15.5" 2.4GHZ
my replies in Bold.
I agree with ADKhikerVW.

Make an appointment with a Genius at an Apple store. They may want to take you MBP for testing. It should be waking up without issue. Also, your DVD shouldn't be creating coasters. So mention both problems to them.I think I might just do that. is it only by appt. or walkin are ok?

I don't know if Onyx does it, so open Disk Utility in the Applications/Utilities folder, select you disk name and run 'Repair Disk Permissions'. To run the 'Repair Disk' option, I believe you have to start up from the install DVD to work on the internal drive.

When it comes to DVD discs, I only buy name brand discs because I was burned when I bought no-name discs.this same for PC too, so I only use name brands like TDK or Sony

Managing photos with Finder or Windows Explorer seems weird to me. I'd use a tool designed for that, such as iPhoto, Aperture, or Lightroom. If you insist on using the Finder, then good organization is needed and you can put Finder into an icon mode that will show thumbnails of the images, and make so that folder always opens in icon view. See the four squared button to the upper left and the gear popup button to figure that out.as I mentioned in ADKhikerVW reply, I probably use Lightroom.

It is very rare to see OS X do a blue screen of death, so something is up with your system. If you can narrow this down to one application causing the problem then focus on research that. Or perhaps you have heating issue which only Apple can fix. Narrowing down the cause is the goal.the blue screen only happens during start up and just pressing the on/off (with out holding) restarts the computer. usually starts ok second time but there have been a times when I had to restart 2x

As for applications quitting. Again, do some investigation about those specific apps. Also, considering upgrading to the current version if you haven't already.it seems to be happening only only those s/w I mentioned more so on Nikon capture NX and it is up to date.

What do you mean by "it seem like Mac Safari is always in the higher que compare to firefox"?
Safari always have quicker start even though Firefox started much earlier. this is no issues at all...

Thanks for your advise.

Reaction score
If you are unhappy with the Mac OS, just install Windows (or some other operating system, such as GNU/Linux) on your computer. No point buying new hardware if it's the software you're unhappy with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
You need to make an appointment with the Genius Bar. Find an appropriate store via that link I gave and on the upper right side of the store page you'll see an appropriate icon to book an appointment. They are usually good about taking you at your booked time. Just don't wonder around the store and miss you name call. If I can, I sit at the bar.

The fact Safari is starting up faster than Firefox has to do with how the coders have done their job. Also, if you have any add-ons to FF, that could add time to the startup process. It isn't anything to be concerned with. Every app has it's own & unique startup procedure.

You can download both Lightroom and Aperture for free trials. They are both well rated but have different work flows ideas. I recommend you try both, as even pro photographers have been know to flip from one to other and back.

Reaction score
pkyong,

You are not alone. I switched about 18 months ago and regret that I paid $2700 for this MBP. I really like not dealing with Viruses and adware, but I'm frustrated with the fallacy of "it just works". I've had continuous problems with my keyboard, weekly "beach ball" crashes and dislike that I still have to use virtual software to run many programs not available w/ Macs. I'll keep this MBP until W7 comes out, then I'm switching back. I really don't understand why people pay all the extra $$ for Macs when there isn't really any advantage. To each his/her own.
Swedevb

Reaction score
I've ran a Mac for 6 years since switching, since then the only beach ball I know is Summer time on the beach. I have a brand new MBP, and a older PB, never had a problem . Of course I don't run Windows on this and laugh at the users that do. There are 2 kinds of Mac users, Windows users running OS X and Mac users running Windows. Most that complain are Windows users running Mac. If you don't like it, go back to Windows and stop complaining.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
pkyong,

You are not alone. I switched about 18 months ago and regret that I paid $2700 for this MBP. I really like not dealing with Viruses and adware, but I'm frustrated with the fallacy of "it just works". I've had continuous problems with my keyboard, weekly "beach ball" crashes and dislike that I still have to use virtual software to run many programs not available w/ Macs. I'll keep this MBP until W7 comes out, then I'm switching back. I really don't understand why people pay all the extra $$ for Macs when there isn't really any advantage. To each his/her own.
Swedevb
Im sorry, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but why are you on these forums if you don't like Macs and have no intention of using one as soon as you get the chance? When you got the Mac, you must have known that certain software wasn't going to work. If not, then you didn't do enough proper research. I'm not trying to be mean but there is nothing constructive in this post.

In the meantime, why don't you put Windows on your MBP and make yourself happy.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im sorry, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but why are you on these forums if you don't like Macs and have no intention of using one as soon as you get the chance? When you got the Mac, you must have known that certain software wasn't going to work. If not, then you didn't do enough proper research. I'm not trying to be mean but there is nothing constructive in this post.

Excellent point as usual, Vansmith. There's nothing stopping anyone from popping in a Windows disc, formatting the hard drive and using their Mac hardware as a typical Windows machine if they really can't stand OS X.

Everyone has different needs, for many OS X is a good fit. But some people just can't deal with change - and that's OK. But it's particularly irksome when people choose not to help themselves and resort to whining.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The New Macbook

Hi as a new switcher I found this post most helpful as I am in the process of adjusting to my new mac. I don't want to go back but that doesn't mean I dont complain. The responses illicited by the post were very informative to me.

Reaction score
Vansmith,

In answer to your question, like most switchers I periodically browse these forums to learn from others. I have learned tips that have made the switch easier.

It's not that I don't believe the MBP is functional or productive, it is, but I switched because many friends kept telling me "it just works". I think that's a fallacy as described in my previous post and feel others might be scratching their heads wondering why they are having issues with the switch. If "it just works" you wouldn't have all of these switchers asking how to do X or how to fix Y or why won't Z work.

My experience (albeit limited to mine and my daughter's systems) has been that the hardware is more stylish, but no more reliable or functional, and OSX very similar to that on XP (I have not used Vista). Comparatively, my XP laptops were/are more stable than my MBP. Ultimately, I see very little difference between the two other than the Virus issue. IMO, that was not worth the premium I paid for my MBP as compared to similarly configured Windows systems. Therefore, assuming the computing world hasn't changed much in a year or two I will switch back to the more cost effective solution of Windows.

No CWA107 I did not contribute anything constructive in my previous post, but as this is a MAC forum the overwhelming majority of opinions will inherently be skewed and I just wanted the originator to know that not everyone drinks the MAC koolaid, and that is OK.

Swedvb

Reaction score
I really don't understand why people pay all the extra $$ for Macs when there isn't really any advantage. To each his/her own.
Swedevb

Thats just your personal opinion, For a lot of people there are significant advantages (like me XD).

(and people think that Macs are too highly priced, if you get equally powerful PC's and mac's, the PC will be cheaper but it wont last as long. when i used to be on PC i had to replace my laptop every two years and desktop every three, my first mac laptop is still running fine on leopard after four years.)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No CWA107 I did not contribute anything constructive in my previous post, but as this is a MAC forum the overwhelming majority of opinions will inherently be skewed and I just wanted the originator to know that not everyone drinks the MAC koolaid, and that is OK.

Swedvb

The phrase "not everyone drinks the MAC koolaid..." implies that those of us who enjoy our Macs are somehow deluded - and that's not the case. Just because it doesn't fit in with your paradigm for how a computer should work, doesn't mean that it doesn't work well.

The inherent problem is that you were set in your ways with Windows. You were used to it, it worked in a manner that you found intuitive, and although viruses and adware/spyware were annoying, you were otherwise satisfied with the Windows user experience. So, when you switched to Mac and found that you would have to change those habits, you immediately started comparing all aspects of the machine to Windows, preferring the Windows way of doing things and simply not accepting that it was a different paradigm and approaching it with an open mind.

This is exactly why when the topic comes up, I often tell people if that if you find the Windows experience tolerable, there's no reason to switch. But if you want something truly different, and are ready to approach it with an open mind, the Mac can be very rewarding - it has been for me and clearly many others as well.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's not that I don't believe the MBP is functional or productive, it is, but I switched because many friends kept telling me "it just works". I think that's a fallacy as described in my previous post and feel others might be scratching their heads wondering why they are having issues with the switch. If "it just works" you wouldn't have all of these switchers asking how to do X or how to fix Y or why won't Z work.
No machine in the world "just works" and the idea of something "just working" is ultimately subjective (and ludicrous). "Just working" can mean two very different things for two very different people - a casual user who only checks email and the news online will have an easier time than say a power user who has to configure the machine precisely to their needs. For the power user, the machine won't "just work" because it likely won't be tailored to what they need right out of the box (everyone is unique right?).

Like cwa107 and I have suggested, if you like Windows and prefer the Windows paradigm, then install it on your MBP and enjoy the wait until W7.

I really don't understand why people pay all the extra $$ for Macs when there isn't really any advantage.
To go back to this for a second if I may, why do people buy pick up trucks over a small sedan? Both get you from place to place. The difference lies in what each can do for you and how you choose to use your car. Sure, you may not like the pick up because it's bad on gas but it also allows you to tow things that a sedan can't. What about engagment rings? You could buy a diamond ring but you could also make one out of tinfoil. I'm fairly certain that the tinfoil ring would get you a slap in the face and not give you the same "advantage" (ie. engagement). What I'm trying to get at is that for some, paying a little more money is worth it because the extra money ensures they get the product/outcome that fits their needs.

Choice of computer is much like any juxtaposition of expensive and inexpensive product - they both do different things and because of this, prices tend to be different.

Reaction score
Vansmith & CWA017,

I think we have reached "violent agreement" as some would say. Appreciate the discussion.

Swedevb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
As someone who does music production as an amateur, there is NO WAY a Win box could do what this iMac does for me as easily. Everyone I've watched trying to get Pro-Tools running on a PC without it over heating or gagging up breath a huge sigh of relief when they give up and go Mac, it's just an easier platform to deal with when you are using it for creative medium.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.