Time Machine

Reaction score
Hi,

Which wired router, that I can plug into my airport express AND plug in a USB hard drive for time machine, would you recommend.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just about every router being sold nowadays is designed for wireless operation, so I'm not sure what you mean by a "wired" router. You might want to consider an Airport Extreme unit instead of using your Airport Express and an additional router. The Extreme will accommodate an external USB drive for Time Machine, and provide a wireless signal.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
Airport extreme is certainly a wise move.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" alluminum MacBook Pro 2.53
Also consider an all in one Timecapsule

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
Is this officially supported yet? Doesn't look like it:

Mac OS X 10.5: Time Machine doesn't back up to AirPort Extreme AirPort Disks

I believe you can enable this using Secrets?

Secrets

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I had it going via hacks a while back, but it scares the heck out of me if I had to do a system restore via TM. Is there a way to verify a TM backup that is taken with a "workaround?"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
Also consider an all in one Timecapsule

Personally i would avoid the Time Capsule for a couple reasons:

a) TC comes with either a 500GB or 1TB drive. Once you fill it up you have no option to replace the drive with a bigger one.
b) If you ever want to take your backup drive off site, you have to take the whole device which means taking down your wired and wireless network.

If you buy the Airport Extreme Base Station and a USB HD you can change out the HD any time you want, and can easily move your backup offsite without having to take down the entire router.

I've also had absolutely no problems using Time Machine to backup to my USB HD connected via AEBS.

My 2 cents. Change is not provided.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.