• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple not doing so well?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Ballmer was bound to do something like that at the slightest sign of trouble at Apple. I really wish the "politics" between leaders of businesses would stop. Ballmer and other corporate leaders should be more focused on their own corporations right now and not others.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
In the words of the editors of MacDailyNews.... "May Steve Ballmer remain Microsoft CEO for as long as it takes".

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If I posted here what I really feel about Steve Balmer I would be banned as both a Mod and user. Let me just say I have NO RESPECT for the man at all. He makes a fool out of himself every time he opens that mouth of his. I have a LOT more respect for Bill Gates.

Apple only went up 1 point? Where did you get that info from Balmer? Why did you have to lay off 5k employes if things are going so well for you?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ballmer has been doing an excellent job of running Microsoft and its reputation into the ground. So, I'd say although he's doing MS a disservice, at least he's giving back to the rest of the industry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Guess he could take a page from Apple one price for a new os that works
instead of the proposed 5 with substantial price increase as you move up
the ladder for ultimate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The man is monumentally inept and short-sighted. It just BLOWS my mind that the shareholders aren't up in arms demanding his resignation.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
In the words of the editors of MacDailyNews.... "May Steve Ballmer remain Microsoft CEO for as long as it takes".

Classic

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Blue Hardshell Case
I watched those videos.... I thought I was a psycho!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
To Steve Ballmer's credit I've tried to find something he's good at. A valid reason as to why he deserves to be the new CEO at MS. And I have to admit his keynotes are really funny. He's so unpredictable up on the stage. But that's it really. I'd get a better structured report about MS from a PC magazine. Mind you many of the PC magazines of recent have been praising the Apple lines as we all know.

Is Steve Ballmer CEOship of MS the slow beginning signs that MS might actually lose the computer OS race and have to pull out one day?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is Steve Ballmer CEOship of MS the slow beginning signs that MS might actually lose the computer OS race and have to pull out one day?
I doubt it. He's been there for quite a while and most people don't buy Windows directly - they get it when they buy a new PC. Therefore, most people either do have a choice or don't make a conscious decision.

I worked in IT for a few summers during undergrad and many people don't know of any alternatives to Windows on PCs let alone alternatives to PCs. Many people assume that Windows is required for a PC to work - Windows is like an engine in a car. These people though don't know that you can buy different "engines" or "cars". This just goes to illustrate the hegemony MS has over the OS market.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I worked in IT for a few summers during undergrad and many people don't know of any alternatives to Windows on PCs let alone alternatives to PCs. Many people assume that Windows is required for a PC to work - Windows is like an engine in a car. These people though don't know that you can buy different "engines" or "cars". This just goes to illustrate the hegemony MS has over the OS market.

Exactly. It absolutely amazing to see how the general public is completely ignorant of anything other than Windows. So many people see my Mac on my desk at work and upon asking me what it is, simply can't wrap their brains around it. So often I get "well, what's the difference - what does it do?".

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
CWA, when they ask what it does turn it around and show them the Apple Logo all lit up! :D Maybe that will impress them!!

Too bad you don't have the latest trackpad, that might get their attention!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Exactly. It absolutely amazing to see how the general public is completely ignorant of anything other than Windows. So many people see my Mac on my desk at work and upon asking me what it is, simply can't wrap their brains around it. So often I get "well, what's the difference - what does it do?".
It's amazing that for these individuals a Mac has to be so completely different and do some things not possible with a PC to justify owning one. You should ask these people what kind of car they have (to go back to my car analogy) and upon hearing that they have a different car (hopefully), ask them "well, what's the difference - what does it do?"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
As a designer I use Macs at work, in a large corporation where everybody else uses PCs. People there definitely know about the Mac and are impressed, many would buy one but are usually held back by some vague impression that it cannot run the software they need.

As for Linux, outside a few tech heads people have simply not heard of it, or even the whole open source movement. A student working there was simply incredulous that you you get free anti-virus and an office suite, it took some explaining that the software was 1) not pirated and 2) very good software

Perhaps the open source movement needs a marketing budget, that would really threaten Microsoft's position.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's really just part of a general public ignorance of computers. The public conscious really just understands Windows to be synonymous with computers, exactly as Vansmith explained it previously. And I'm not referring to savvy consumers or those with a long history of computer use. The car analogy is a great one - people see Windows as the engine - and that's exactly the way Microsoft has marketed it. Now, if they could just convince everyone that their engine is shot, every time a new version of Windows is released, Microsoft would be overjoyed.

That's likely the reason Microsoft took so long to address the problem of spyware/adware in a meaningful way. They waited until it went from a small nuisance to a major problem that ended up extorting users and contributing to identity theft and essentially giving them a black eye. And of course, they've done all they can with paid shills in the form of journalists to dissuade that perception that they had any fault in the propagation of these now severe security problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini - 2.26 Ghz C2D - 2 GB RAM - 160 GB HDD
I agree with CWA, it's the same reason your grandma calls every video game system "Nintendo." Windows is just so prevalent that it's all people know. Not to mention for kids growing up there comes a negative stigma (read: nerd) with researching and actually knowing about computers beyond how to use them, so most will stick with Windows until a more mature age. The tide is turning on the negative nerd stigma; however, and as people become more informed I believe more switchers will emerge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
I think it makes sense that people will buy less Apple Products as you really do pay a premium and we are in hard economic times.

The sales of netbooks seems to go along with this thought as well...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.