• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Corrupted iMovie File.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz iPhone 3G 16GB
I have an iMovie file I made some time ago, when I went back to the movie to burn a new DVD the movie is corrupted. The audio and film play out of sync, the transitation etc I imputed are ignored, it seems to jump about.

Any ideas how I can get the movie back to the way I made it? The iMovie file has all the clips and music in the correct order in the task pane. I have tried to re save the movie however it's still the same.

GP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
What version of iMovie are you using?

If you are using iMovie HD, then I suggest making a backup and digging into the project folder and removing the transitions. This this is a stab in the dark that might put things back in to sync.

If you can't find an answer here, I suggest also trying the Apple iMovie Forums.

OP
Ginger Pilot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi XStep,

Thanks for your answer. I'm using iMovie HD, I had thought of your idea but these movies are of diving so it would literally take days to remake as they are all 10-15second clips, with hundereds of transitions.

I'll look into the Apple Forum.

GP

OP
Ginger Pilot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi XStep,

Thanks for your answer. I'm using iMovie HD, I had thought of your idea but these movies are of diving so it would literally take days to remake as they are all 10-15second clips, with hundereds of transitions.

I'll look into the Apple Forum.

GP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Well you could try removing all the transitions and see if that does fix it. If so, then try tracking down the transition causing the issue.

Tip: when you make a movie, create a master of the final product and save it somewhere safe.

OP
Ginger Pilot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tip: when you make a movie, create a master of the final product and save it somewhere safe.

This was the final saved product, it was saved on my external hard drive. Hence why I'd gone back to burn a new copy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now I'm more confused.

Was it an iMovie project that played out of sync and the transitions were ignored, or was is a saved QuickTime file. If that latter, then I suspect you saved a reference file as opposed to a self contained QuickTime file.

OP
Ginger Pilot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was the iMovie file raw data file.

GP

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.