OSX smb file sharing shares whole drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, MBA, MacMini
Hi all,

I'm hoping this is me being a noob with OSX and not a security "feature". When I enable File Sharing and allow smb, OSX seems to allow full read/write access to the entire drive from a vista machine without any authentication required. Under "Users" for File Sharing, only my OSX account has read/write, and "Everyone" specifically has no access. Under options for smb only my osx account is listed. The only folder listed for sharing is my account's "public" folder. However from 2 different vista machines I can get into anywhere and read/write without any authentication.

This can't really be this insecure can it? LOL What am I doing wrong???

Edit: This is OSX 10.5.6 with the latest updates.

Reaction score
1. As this article points out: Tutorial: File sharing in OS X - MacFixIt, if your OS X account has Administrator privileges (i.e. is a member of the admin group), then accessing the computer via SMB will also allow the account access to all folders, which is why the hard drives show up as shares. If you want to test this, open a terminal and type "groups". You should see "admin" somewhere on the line of groups.

2. I would be surprised if this is actually happening w/o authentication, this would be a serious problem. Perhaps your username/password are mirrored between the two machines? This would allow the authentication to occur transparently (convenient), but would give the impression that your OS X machine is wide open to the rest of the world.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.