Are VMware virtual machines sandboxed?

Reaction score
Does anyone here know if VMware virtual machines are completely sandboxed? (If an operating system running on a virtual machine gets corrupted, will it affect OSX in any way shape or form?)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If by "sandboxed" you mean isolated from OS X, then the answer is yes. An example would be running XP in a VM and contracting a virus or some malware, that virus or malware could not effect OS X - or "leak out".

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Just yesterday some nimrod emailed me a virus. I knew it was a virus and should just be deleted outright, but I wanted to examine it. Since it would do absolutely nothing to my Mac I dragged the virus-laden (netsky win32 BTW) zipfile to my desktop and fired up my Parallels VM running XP, dragged the file over to it's desktop to see what it would do. It did exactly what I figured it would do, which was make itself invisible, then the Symantec anti-virus thing on the VM did it's thing, which was to clean it out.

Nice experiment, and with no fear that it would do anything to the Mac OS X host system.

So yes VMs are sandboxed nicely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You'd want to watch out if Parallels has given your Windows machine "network" access to your home folder though:

Some malicious apps (actually lots of them) are designed to cause havok on networks, so if they could access your networked home folder, they could potentially cause damage there.

Reaction score
If you share files between a guest and host, then a virus running in the guest will have at least some access to the host's file system. In theory, the virus could erase some files or copy itself to the host. However, the virus can neither "spread" within the host nor from the host because Windows executables won't run on OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
Yes. But has the guys above said you need to watch out for shared environments. For example, my OS X desktop is shared with my Windows XP environment in VMware

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.