Hard drive frequent reads/writes?

Reaction score
Hi all,

Getting along just fine so far with Macs! Quick question, I've noticed frequent hard disk activity on my MBP, and was wondering if this was normal, or if there was some process/application that could be causing this? It's a quiet sort of click whirr every second for a couple of times, then waits a couple of seconds, the goes three or more times, seemingly randomly.

Any ideas?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open your activity monitor and see what's running or what processes are ongoing. (Utilities - Activity Monitor.app)

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, I've looked there, but could identify anything obviously out of the ordinary. I does show under 'Disk Activity' that there's a 'Write out' whenever I hear this noise, so I'm assuming something is writing information to the hard drive frequently. I guess it could be normal, but it almost seems like it'd be wasting power if I was running on battery.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.