Most reliable 1TB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I'm looking to get a reliable 1TB F800 drive for my MBP. I currently have a Lacie 500Gb d2 Quadra, and i absolutely love it, very well built and fast with F800. I have read reviews that people say that the 1TB version is not as reliable though. Which i do understand since it is a bigger drive. But i do need one regardless. Should i go with the Lacie, or is there another good one out there for a similar price?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I have the 1TB Lacie and it is fine. Most of the time from my experience the power supply is the issue with these drives. It may act like a bad drive, but the power supply is the culprit a lot of times. I have replaced 3 power supplies on Lacie drives, but the drives themselves have always been flawless.

I am assuming that this has been worked out as I have not heard about it in a while.

Reaction score
Depends a little on your price sensitivity, but if you really prize reliability then one left-field idea is that the most reliable 1TB drive is probably the 2TB Ultramax F800 from Iomega, in a Raid 1 configuration. That would give you high fault tolerance and good speed.

Just a thought.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea i have never considered a RAID configuration, but i don't like the idea of something backing up everything automatically for me, i like doing it manually. I might be wrong about RAID like that though. JohnCL, that's the one thing i did hear about with the 1 TB drives, with the power supply failing. Do you know what could cause that? I'll probably go for that, since B&H has it for $180 free shipping, and that's a good deal on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
No idea on the cause, other than they must have had a bad run of supplies at one time. The drive would click like it had failed, but if you picked up the power supply it would be hissing, and when that happened the unit was not getting near enough power. I was fortunate and got a great tech at Lacie and he sent me enough supplies for all of my drives even though they did not need it. I have 2 spares on hand now. :D

Again, I have zero complaints with the drive, and the cost is right. If needed Lacie support is pretty good. It has been great for me in the past, and they actually do some troubleshooting instead of saying "send it in". I never had to even ship my drive out, just had to wait on the part to come to me.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, you made up my mind then, i'll definitely be getting that one then. Which body do you have, the older one, or the new one with the grooves on the sides? I have the older 500GB one, i'm just curious about the size comparison, i'm looking into getting the d2 Quadra rack for both of my drives, so i'm trying to see if both would work with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Well, you made up my mind then, i'll definitely be getting that one then. Which body do you have, the older one, or the new one with the grooves on the sides? I have the older 500GB one, i'm just curious about the size comparison, i'm looking into getting the d2 Quadra rack for both of my drives, so i'm trying to see if both would work with it.

My drive has a very big footprint, and it does have grooves on the side. It came with a removable stand, but I lay it flat on the desk. The Quadra is smaller and allows that rack system which is nice. As far as I know the older drives like mine are much to big for the rack system. The Quadra is probably the way to go, and with more than one drive it saves space with the rack system.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My drive has a very big footprint, and it does have grooves on the side. It came with a removable stand, but I lay it flat on the desk. The Quadra is smaller and allows that rack system which is nice. As far as I know the older drives like mine are much to big for the rack system. The Quadra is probably the way to go, and with more than one drive it saves space with the rack system.

Alrighty, i'll have to look into the size difference between the one i have now over the newer one then. Thanks for all your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.