Microsoft Windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR2 Memory, 120 GB hard drive
Hello. I just wanted to know what is the best Microsoft Windows software to get? I've read reviews on 2008 and it seemed like nobody liked the new software.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I assume this is for Boot Camp or virtualization.

2008 is a server release of Windows. While you can get it and run it (as I do under VM - thank you DreamSpark program), you might be better off with a consumer release such as Vista or XP. What do you plan to do with the Windows install and how do you plan to run it - boot camp or VM?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I assume this is for Boot Camp or virtualization.

2008 is a server release of Windows. While you can get it and run it (as I do under VM - thank you DreamSpark program), you might be better off with a consumer release such as Vista or XP. What do you plan to do with the Windows install and how do you plan to run it - boot camp or VM?

This is not for Boot Camp or virtualization. Although, I have come across some comments on running Windows.

The reason why I want Microsoft is because I need programs like Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
So, you'll be installing this on a PC?

By the way, you can get Office for the Mac. I run the Home and Student version of Office 2008 which comes with Word, Powerpoint and Excel. Here is the Office 2008 page with more information.

Reaction score
I guess we're not sure what you're doing. Are you just looking generally for the best windows version to run on a Windows PC? If so, the answer depends on what you are using it for. For MS Office applications, XP, Vista or even Windows 7 will run them just fine. You don't need anything fancy for Office, web surfing, etc. If you have a Windows PC you'll have one of those versions on there, may as well just go with it.

If you are trying to run Windows on a Mac, you can do it by virtualization (via VM Ware Fusion or Parallels Desktop), or by Boot Camp. Again, which version you choose depends on what you want to do - for Office and basic tasks, I think most folks here would just recommend XP SP3 (Home premium), using an OEM version (the cheapest) from a site like newegg.com. XP Pro may well be overkill for these basic apps.

There are many flavors of Windows and subflavors, that it's impossible to answer such a question generally. They will all run Office, so perhaps it ultimately depends on what else you do or what you can get cheapest.

Good luck!

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, you'll be installing this on a PC?

By the way, you can get Office for the Mac. I run the Home and Student version of Office 2008 which comes with Word, Powerpoint and Excel. Here is the Office 2008 page with more information.

I'll be installing it on my Mac.

I've read bad ratings on Office 2008 for the Mac. Do you like it?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess we're not sure what you're doing. Are you just looking generally for the best windows version to run on a Windows PC? If so, the answer depends on what you are using it for. For MS Office applications, XP, Vista or even Windows 7 will run them just fine. You don't need anything fancy for Office, web surfing, etc. If you have a Windows PC you'll have one of those versions on there, may as well just go with it.

If you are trying to run Windows on a Mac, you can do it by virtualization (via VM Ware Fusion or Parallels Desktop), or by Boot Camp. Again, which version you choose depends on what you want to do - for Office and basic tasks, I think most folks here would just recommend XP SP3 (Home premium), using an OEM version (the cheapest) from a site like newegg.com. XP Pro may well be overkill for these basic apps.

There are many flavors of Windows and subflavors, that it's impossible to answer such a question generally. They will all run Office, so perhaps it ultimately depends on what else you do or what you can get cheapest.

Good luck!

It's actually for my new white Macbook 2.0ghz that i just bought. I just want to use it for school and hopefully for work later down the road.

Can I have Microsoft Office without using virtualization? I just want the Office icons ( e.g. Word, Excel, and Powerpoint ) on the bottom of my desktop. Is XP SP3 (home edition) not the same as XP Pro? Because I have that and I used that for my PC desktop. Can I still install that cd for my Macbook even thought I already used it?

Thank you for your help.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
XP SP3 and XP Home are the same thing. SP3 is Service Pack 3 which can be applied to any legal version of Windows XP. Be advised though that if you run Windows Via Bootcamp, you must have a full install of XP SP2 or you will run into issues after the install.

Unless you have a Multi License version of Windows, you can not install the same Windows CD on 2 machines. Besides being against Microsoft's EULA, Product Activation will kick in on the 2nd machine and you will not be able to activate it. If you want XP on your Mac you will need a new XP SP2/3 CD with a COA (Certificate of Authentication-Product Key).

Many are very happy with the OSX version of Office 2008. You can also try Open Office which is free.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll be installing it on my Mac.

I've read bad ratings on Office 2008 for the Mac. Do you like it?
If you are using it on your Mac, you will have to use either Boot Camp or virtualization ;D.

Office 2008 isn't bad - it's a bit slow at times but is does ensure that I don't have to worry about compatibility.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
XP SP3 and XP Home are the same thing. SP3 is Service Pack 3 which can be applied to any legal version of Windows XP. Be advised though that if you run Windows Via Bootcamp, you must have a full install of XP SP2 or you will run into issues after the install.

Unless you have a Multi License version of Windows, you can not install the same Windows CD on 2 machines. Besides being against Microsoft's EULA, Product Activation will kick in on the 2nd machine and you will not be able to activate it. If you want XP on your Mac you will need a new XP SP2/3 CD with a COA (Certificate of Authentication-Product Key).

Many are very happy with the OSX version of Office 2008. You can also try Open Office which is free.

Thank you for the clarification. I might have to think about Office 2008...

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you are using it on your Mac, you will have to use either Boot Camp or virtualization ;D.

Office 2008 isn't bad - it's a bit slow at times but is does ensure that I don't have to worry about compatibility.

Really? To use Office 2008, I either have to use Boot Camp or virtualization?...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

No, you do not need BootCamp or virtualization and absolutely no need to install Windows in order to run MS Office 2008 for Mac. It is the OS X version of Microsoft Office and runs natively on your Mac. In fact, it will not run in Windows.

The initial question was misleading, based on later posts. Am "assuming" your question is not about "Windows" which is their operating system, but about "Office" and installing Word, Powerpoint and Excel.

The primary negative reviews of Office 2008 for Mac are the same reasons why a whole lot of us don't like Office 2007 (which is the Windows version). That, and Entourage seems to be a far cry from the equivalent of Outlook in the Windows version.

If you don't want to use iWork, Neo Office or Open Office (the alternatives); then you only have two options basically (doesn't matter what's best).

Option one: You get Office 2008 for Mac - $235 at Amazon.

Option two: You get a copy of Windows and install it via Bootcamp or one of the virtual apps, and also get Office 2007. This could be done for anywhere between about $200 (with BootCamp, a system builder's copy of XP if you can still find one and Office 2007 for Home and Students) or all the way up to $900 (with VMWare Fusion, Vista Ultimate, and Office 2007 Pro). MS doesn't make anything easy.

My suggestion, get Open Office for free and take iWork for a free 30 day test drive. See if you really need any MS stuff on your Mac.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, you do not need BootCamp or virtualization and absolutely no need to install Windows in order to run MS Office 2008 for Mac. It is the OS X version of Microsoft Office and runs natively on your Mac. In fact, it will not run in Windows.

The initial question was misleading, based on later posts. Am "assuming" your question is not about "Windows" which is their operating system, but about "Office" and installing Word, Powerpoint and Excel.

The primary negative reviews of Office 2008 for Mac are the same reasons why a whole lot of us don't like Office 2007 (which is the Windows version). That, and Entourage seems to be a far cry from the equivalent of Outlook in the Windows version.

If you don't want to use iWork, Neo Office or Open Office (the alternatives); then you only have two options basically (doesn't matter what's best).

Option one: You get Office 2008 for Mac - $235 at Amazon.

Option two: You get a copy of Windows and install it via Bootcamp or one of the virtual apps, and also get Office 2007. This could be done for anywhere between about $200 (with BootCamp, a system builder's copy of XP if you can still find one and Office 2007 for Home and Students) or all the way up to $900 (with VMWare Fusion, Vista Ultimate, and Office 2007 Pro). MS doesn't make anything easy.

My suggestion, get Open Office for free and take iWork for a free 30 day test drive. See if you really need any MS stuff on your Mac.

Thank you so much. You clarified a lot for me.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, you do not need BootCamp or virtualization and absolutely no need to install Windows in order to run MS Office 2008 for Mac.
Perhaps I wasn't clear in my post. I wasn't referring to the need for BC or virtualization to run Office 2008. I was referring to the need for BC or virtualization to run Windows. Perhaps I should have said: "If you are using Windows on your Mac, you will have to use either Boot Camp or virtualization".

Reaction score
And, as also posted above, ... you don't need to run Windows to run MS Office - you can get Office 2008 for the Mac and that works just fine.

Cheers

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perhaps I wasn't clear in my post. I wasn't referring to the need for BC or virtualization to run Office 2008. I was referring to the need for BC or virtualization to run Windows. Perhaps I should have said: "If you are using Windows on your Mac, you will have to use either Boot Camp or virtualization".

Now I know there is Office for Macs now. I'm just debating on if I want to get it now...

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And, as also posted above, ... you don't need to run Windows to run MS Office - you can get Office 2008 for the Mac and that works just fine.

Cheers

Yes! Thank you.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Thank you. I wasn't clear on my part. I should have said Microsoft Office.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Cheers

Thank you. Is there a Microsoft Office out there for Macs without having to get the 2008 version?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can get the 2004 version. A colleague of mine uses it happily.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.