Resinstalling Mac OS 9 in a different country

rp.

Reaction score
I am hoping to help a friend with his French Mac running OS 9. He purchased it in France originally, from the Apple shop in Lyon. However, now that he's living in England again, he would like to reinstall the OS so that it is all in English. He would also like to use the French AZERTY keyboard in the English QWERT layout.

Can this be done? And how should he go about it? Would he need an English copy of OS 9 to use with his European user licence? Would the reinstallation of the English OS 9 allow the keyboard to be used in the British configuration, despite the stickers on the laptop keys?

Your guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
been a long time since I used os9, bt I'm sure it won't be a problem to use the keyboard, if the system has the right layout ... that won't be a problem

as for the language, just try putting in the installation disc and see if you get some language preferences, you don't have to start installing, just look around

and btw, what computer is this? some iMac maybe? os9 isn't the ideal system to run, unfortunately, but if your friend is used to it ...

OP
R

rp.

Reaction score
Thank you for your advice.

The machine appears to be something like a 15" Macbook.

He already owns OS 9 - so hopefully it will allow him to change language.

Are the installation discs usually universal?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.