my first photo Shoot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
this is my first photo shoot i have only had my Canon Rebel XSi 2 weeks. it is all on my Flickr account.. please look at it and let me know your thoughts. i shot most shots on M-mode with kit lens 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Reaction score
It's hard to give commentary because

a) the subject is not very imaginative despite being a gorgeous vehicle,

b) the lighting is flat,

c) It's pretty clear you walked around the car and took the shots standing up. That's fine, but a little boring. We've all seen cars from this angle. Show us something different.

While these photos might serve as a nice memory of getting up close to a Lamborghini, they're nothing special from a photography viewpoint. You're not taking advantage of any of the features that an SLR offers over a P&S.

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
what do you suggest? i dont know much about photography.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
what do you suggest? i dont know much about photography.

It's your eye, dude. We can't tell you how to use your eye. Maybe do some diagonals, and wait until the sun shines on the car. Try to get some close-ups, maybe the rims of the car close up. use your eye.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 24" Imac 2.93ghz 4gb RAM 640gb HDD GT130 GPU
It's your eye, dude. We can't tell you how to use your eye. Maybe do some diagonals, and wait until the sun shines on the car. Try to get some close-ups, maybe the rims of the car close up. use your eye.

Have you ever shot a vehicle before?? Direct sunlight on a vehicle is one of the worst things you can do. Over cast days are best to shoot vehicles, and if it is sunny you better have plenty of diffuser panels.

To the OP, you did a good job for your first setup session. But when working with vehicles outdoors you want to find a setting that either compliments or contrasts with your subject (vehicle) to make it more compelling. As well as giving the viewer angles that are not so common.

If you were doing this for a dealer, they would be great. Although some of them are a tad underexposed on my monitor. But I do not calibrate this monitor so take that with a grain of salt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!

Diagonals make me cry.

Reaction score
It's nothing new excluding this great Lambo ;]
You haven't treated it like a model, but you treated this car like a one of them which stay on car park.

Rebel XSi is EOS 450D, I suppose ?
btw. You gotta rich friend %-D

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
this is for a brochure for my friends company.. i did some other cars yesterday. but thanks for the input i looked up some images and i see what most of you are saying.. i am still learning a lot.. i have only had this camera 2.5 weeks and this is my first SLR.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
... Direct sunlight on a vehicle is one of the worst things you can do. Over cast days are best to shoot vehicles, and if it is sunny you better have plenty of diffuser panels.

If you have a polarized filter, then you are not so limited with glares from the car as well, I think you cat achieve amazing photos this way

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i photoshopped this pic a lil

Before
IMG_0220.jpg

After
Lambo12.jpg

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 24" Imac 2.93ghz 4gb RAM 640gb HDD GT130 GPU
If you have a polarized filter, then you are not so limited with glares from the car as well, I think you cat achieve amazing photos this way

Polarizing filters work good sometimes, but often times it just makes more work in LR or PS. It really depends on the overall look you are trying to achieve. But that is just my opinion, as I generally don't use any filters.

Also OP, one thing to remember in Photoshop or Lightroom whatever you use to post process....less is always more. You did way to much burning on that image. It screams photoshop!

Keep at it man, and keep learning. That is the best way to become a good photographer, learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i like the picture. i think it could have been taken this way. thanks for your OP tho.

learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.

you sound like my father he is a photographer.. i have a lot to learn though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
why did you shoot the shots in front of a garage? that's the most disrupting element for me :D the car on this particular shot also takes up too much space, for me a picture should never just be about one big yellow blob of a lambo :)

Edit:
the modified picture looks pretty good, if there isn't the original side by side to see what exactly changed I think the effect came out nicely, specially on the pavement ... the only give away would be the over-saturated blue sky, but still :)

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
I agree that the garage is a hideous background, and it'd be great to see that car move... Another point is that after a photo shoot, an idea would be to pick out the very best images with different angles and features and then present just a few photos. A huge amount of photos are very annoying to have to look through. Pick a few and present them as well as you can. (I understand that these were posted for learning purposes though.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Learn the use of Aperture Priority to make some cool effects with simple Depth of Field. I always like to see varying shots with a subject in focus at f/2 with the background subtly blurred out.

I shot this while walking through the house, noticed the bottle and thought it "might" make a decent picture.

3158246076_f7bb54cc55.jpg

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea i need a lens that can do a f/2... lol got a grand just laying around i can have. anyways i understand what you are saying ... i took this the other day.. i like DOF... it is cool stuff.

love.jpg

love2.jpg

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.