how do you create a new paragraph on MS Word for Mac?

Reaction score
So sorry for this totally stupid question, but I have just spent the last hour and a half (I kid you not) trying to create a new paragraph on a word document in my Macbook. Sorry for being so dumb, but how do you actually indent new paragraphs when you want them? On my pc all I did was press the tab key which was perfect...but when I do that on this Macbook it doesn't indent like with a paragraph...but takes the text right to the very end of the line so that only one word shows on the line.

Sorry, hope i am explaining this properly...trying to work on an assignment and I am spending more time trying to work this out than working. It was so easy on my old computer, just press the tab key whenever you want to start a new paragraph?

Please can someone help me? Thanks so much.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It should work the same way on the Mac version of MS Word. Did you check your justification setting?

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your reply. I'm about to reinforce my stupidity here...but how do i do that? I..eh..just have used it as it came.

OP
V
Reaction score
Oooh, I have just found tab settings and it was set to 12.2 instead of 1.22 ? So changed that and it seems to be working, thanks so much!

Can I ask one more question if it is okay? How do you get the little numbers like you see on essays when referencing things up? Is there some key I can press to reduce the size of say a number one? Again..probably a totally basic question. Thanks very much!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It should do what you want by default. Have you changed any settings?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Oooh, I have just found tab settings and it was set to 12.2 instead of 1.22 ? So changed that and it seems to be working, thanks so much!

Can I ask one more question if it is okay? How do you get the little numbers like you see on essays when referencing things up? Is there some key I can press to reduce the size of say a number one? Again..probably a totally basic question. Thanks very much!

That's called subscript. Check the Help menu, as I don't have MS Word available to me at the moment.

OP
V
Reaction score
No..I haven't touched any settings at all. I wouldn't know where to begin! Even now though that I have 'fixed' the tab settings, despite setting them and pressing okay it keeps on changing back to the way where only one word appears on a line when you press tab, no idea why!

Subscript, fantastic. I will check help menu on that.

Thanks very much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
You should take a word processing class. :p

M

MacInWin

Actually, a footnote reference is a superscript, not subscript. And if you want the number to follow the note, you need to enter it as a footnote, not just as text.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.