• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Magnavox console record player question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
hey everyone,

i recently inherited an old Magnavox Console Record player. It has settings or 16rpm, 33rpm, 45rpm and 72rpm. When i play 33 1/3 records on it, it plays fast when set to 33. so i play them at the 16 rpm setting. they play a little slow, but they dont sound like chipmunks at least. does anyone here know how i could fix this? thanks in advance.

p.s. alsom ther radio sounds great on it, but records seem mufled and bassey, even with the bass turned almost all the way down. is that a needle issue? thanks again.

Reaction score
Probably need a new needle. As far as the speed, is this a belt drive turntable? Probably is and needs a new belt.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The old Magnavox HiFi systems used a Automatic turntable with a idler wheel. I bet it's not stepping right on the stepping bushing on the motor or worn or both. Take the turntable off (There should be a C-Clamp somewhere around the spindle) and see what you see.

OP
mcjacksonnelson
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
hey there,

so i took a look under the platter and the idler wheel seems to be in really good shape actually. the rubber is almost perfect and it spins freely. the whole assembly is really clean, looks almost brand new. i think the problem is with the main drive shaft/motor. when i turn the record player on, it turns veeeeeery slow. its hot to the touch and seems like its vibrating a bit. almost like it wants to turn but cant/wont. after a while, after it warms up it will play, but doenst play at the right speed. should i be looking for a replacement motor? thanks in advance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.