Booting Win 98 from an old Hard drive on my Mac

Reaction score
As the title says, this could be a hard one.

Basically I have a Hard drive from an Old Win 98 Machine which I need to try and run/boot on my Mac book pro running Leopard.

Can anyone think of a way of attaching my hard drive to my mac and then running it as per normal as if it was attached to an old PC, I have VMware fusion which I use to run a copy of XP on my MAC but I can't think of a way of using that to run my 98 HD.

I could easily install a copy of 98 on VMware fusion but I'm not that sure if that will help.
I have an adapter which turns my old HD IDE connection into a USB connection so thats not a problem.

Any help on this would be really appreciated.
Thankx

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Windows will not boot from an external device. At all. It's a MS limitation.

And you're going to have problems trying to boot to it even if you install it internally into another machine, unless you put in one with exactly the same hardware as the machine it came out of.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.