newbie Q re: transfering files

Reaction score
Before my pc died I backed my files up onto a seagate freeagent external hard drive. Some months later my macbook is pretty full and I need to move some files onto my hard drive but - of course - I can't write to the drive because it's ntfs.

I need to reformat the drive but don't want to lose the data. I don't have enough space on my mac to store everything while I reformat. I have another PC I could use for storage though.

So... I figure I copy stuff from the portable hard drive onto my PC. I then reformat the hard drive to hfs+. But then I won't be able to move the files back to the portable hard drive, right?

My quuestion, assuming everything makes sense so far, is whether I should:
a) use some fancy means of copying files to the hard drive
b) copy files from the pc to my mac (how?)
c) burn many dvds

Any help appreciated.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
My recommendation - setup a share on you PC, dump the contents of your external on your PC (put in share folder), format the HD, put stuff on Mac on HD, copy stuff from Windows share on to your external (through OS X).

That may be more complicated that it needs to be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 Ghz Unibody 13" MacBook, Mac Mini 1.42 GHz, 1GB ram, iPod 16GB Touch, 30GB iPod Classic
I was in exactly the same position until someone here recommended a fantastic little programme which allows OS X to Read and Write to NTFS drives.

I'm at work at the mo so can't get the name but I'm sure someone here will let us know. It's by far the easiest solution to your issue.

OP
B
Reaction score
I was in exactly the same position until someone here recommended a fantastic little programme which allows OS X to Read and Write to NTFS drives.

I'm at work at the mo so can't get the name but I'm sure someone here will let us know. It's by far the easiest solution to your issue.

Ah! Googled it, found NTFS-3G and am away! My faith in macs restored.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.