• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Help with Voltaic please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White
Hi Guys,

I am so tempted right now to ditch my mac and go back to a pc...

I bought a grffin firewave so I could use the 5.1 surround sound part of Final Cut Pro. I use Voltaic to rips the AC3 part of my movies that I shoot from my Sony AVCHD Camcorder. I have checked the settings on the cam and they are fine, tested the same file on a pc and I get 6 channels, however when I use the extract 5.1 option in voltaic, I only get the normal 2 channels...

Everything is set on the mac to use the griffin firewave and if I set 6 manual channels in final cut I can get 6 channels working no problems, the problem does seem to be voltaic not extracting the 6 channels...

HELP!!!

Andi

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Check this URL and read down about the middle of the page. The problem is in the Voltaic program but they claim Apple does the same thing.

VoltaicHD for Mac FAQ | ShedWorx

"Is there any quality loss in the conversion?
No. We have compared out output to Apple's and both look great.

There is a loss in the audio formats though. AVCHD records 5.1 Dolby Digital (6 channels). We have had to drop back to 2 channels (stereo) on the conversion. Be aware that Apple also does this in their AVCHD import."

OP
Jarl Ayari
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White
I wonder if I can get something on a PC to strip the 5.1 and keep it that way so I can re mix it in FCP?

Thanks for the reply dtravis...

Andi

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.