Copy User Settiings

Reaction score
What's the easiest way to copy a user's setttings into a new logon? I had someone who's programs kept crashing, so I created a new logon for her. Fixed the problem, but I'm running into a ton of permissions issues with her old files. I copied everything over to one folder, added her with r/w privilege and pushed it down, but I still find myself having to go into individual folders to give her new logon access. Is there something like the "copy profile" option in Windows?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What's the easiest way to copy a user's setttings into a new logon? I had someone who's programs kept crashing, so I created a new logon for her. Fixed the problem, but I'm running into a ton of permissions issues with her old files. I copied everything over to one folder, added her with r/w privilege and pushed it down, but I still find myself having to go into individual folders to give her new logon access. Is there something like the "copy profile" option in Windows?

There's really no way to copy a profile to another similar to the way it's done in Windows. (2000 and later)

However, what you might want to consider is to use the ROOT account to create the new profile and then drag everything over. All permissions will remain intact. See the following Apple KB article to learn how to log on to your machine using ROOT access: Link

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.