Running Windows along side Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New iMac 20" Leopard vs. 10.5.7
Hi guys!

Thought some of you may be able to help on this one! - I would like to run Windows Vista along side Mac OS X (Leopard 10.5) using Boot camp.
Which Vista package would you recommend me getting -

>Vista Home Basic
>Vista Home Premium
>Vista Business
>Vista Ultimate

Which would you recommend and why?
By the way, I'm not looking to edit movies or anything like that, I'm looking more to do those classic things you can have on Windows that you can't have on Mac. You know, Mac's better, but hey!

Anyway, I'm looking to play games on it and other stuff.

Would you recommend I use the Internet on the Windows side? Or would it give me a virus? What do you think?

Anyway, thanks for the help!!

;D
Mr Macintosh!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Run Vista along side Mac OS X

Oh, and would it be possible to change my Time Machine Backups Drive back to the Boot Camp Drive?
If so, how?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Merged crossposts

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Why Vista? If it's just to play games, Windows XP will do just as good of a job, with far less resources, and it's cheaper to boot.

If you have to go with Vista, I'd just go with Vista Home Premium, as it's the lightest weight version that still has the Aero interface (one of the few reasons to run Vista in the first place).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, and would it be possible to change my Time Machine Backups Drive back to the Boot Camp Drive?
If so, how?

Thanks!

Boot Camp can only be installed on the internal drive, period. You can't use it on an external - that is a limitation of Windows.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is installing Windows with Boot Camp Worth It?

Hi there guys,

I've been pondering over whether I should buy a Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition for a Boot Camp Partition on my iMac. I just really posted this thread to see if any of you thought it was worth the while me purchasing it.

I have decided that even if I did purchase it, I would completely block Internet access from the Windows Partition, and only use Internet on the Mac OS X partition incase I get a virus on the Windows side.

Anyhow, I would just like to know what you guys think, and I would be especially grateful if anyone is already running Vista Home Premium on Mac OS X and could tell me how well it runs!
Also, it is easy to set up Boot Camp (from someone who has already done it,) because I'm wondering whether its worth putting on Vista?!

Thanks a Mac install bundle!;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
If you need it for some Windows only software or games, then yeah it's probably worth it.. otherwise, well... it's really up to you to decide if it's something you need. It will run just fine on your Mac, and yeah Boot Camp is simple enough to use, but of course the entire Windows installation is the same as it would be on any other PC.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you know if Vista is fast on iMac, or is it relatively slow?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you know if Vista is fast on iMac, or is it relatively slow?

Vista will run the same speed as it would on a PC of equivalent hardware specification.

Will it be faster than XP? Probably not, but if you're dead set on Vista and need the features it has over and above XP, then give it a shot.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Anyway, I'm looking to play games on it and other stuff.
Can I ask why, and this has been alluded to earlier by others, you would get Vista? Unless you are playing DX10 games, XP will more than suit your needs, will likely be faster and probably cheaper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Can I ask why, and this has been alluded to earlier by others, you would get Vista?
I think the more important question would be, "Why would you need Windows at all?".

As many times as the OP has asked this question in this thread and others, he has failed to mention what he needs Windows on his machine for.

Those needs would really dictate whether or not it's "worth it" to install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.