Advice Please

Reaction score
My husband & I have the opportunity to purchase new Macbook pros. I am debating on the 15-inch: 2.66GHz or the 17-inch: 2.66GHz. Here is our situation. We are moving to Europe for about 3 years for to his job. I am concerned about the 17-inch's battery. If there is something wrong with the battery, one of us will be with out a computer. Any advice?

Thanks.
A

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If there is something wrong with the battery, one of us will be with out a computer.
On the off chance something would go bad with the battery, you can buy a replacement battery.
You can also use the AC adapter, so I don't see how anyone would be without a computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
What are you using them for? The only reason you would want the 17" over the 15" would be the bigger screen size and the better battery life.

OP
A
Reaction score
I thought with the fact the new 17-inch's battery is being built-in, only apple can remove it for it to still stay under warranty and that there is no replacement battery; therefore, we would have to send the whole computer if there was something wrong with the battery. Is this assumption wrong?
I know with the 15-inch we would buy replacement battery's.

OP
A
Reaction score
My husband mostly games and of course wants the bigger screen. I like working on pictures, video, and web building as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
I've heard that some places online have posted that the 17" battery is actually quite simple to remove (have a look online for it) so that may be the answer to your possible problem.

In relation to the games, I can understand why your husband would want the 17" for games and for your media work it would be a benefit as well.

Just to note, I do all these things on my 15" and love it =]

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I thought with the fact the new 17-inch's battery is being built-in, only apple can remove it for it to still stay under warranty and that there is no replacement battery; therefore, we would have to send the whole computer if there was something wrong with the battery. Is this assumption wrong?
I know with the 15-inch we would buy replacement battery's.

According to several articles on line, the new 17" MBP battery is quite easy to remove. The catch would be finding a replacement in Europe.

See the following: Link

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
Where in Europe are you moving to? If there is an Apple-store in that city, it will obviously be no problem to change a battery or to do anything else that you need done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
You have an Apple store in Munich, which is around 350km away from Heidelberg, which is not too bad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.