ClamXav & AVG free

Reaction score
Ok, I'm about to take posession of an imac, and having read a few lengthy threads on the switcher section about anti-virus I'm now more confused than ever.

I intend to use the imac for everything, but my wife will need to use the Windows facility for work stuff. Anyway, suffice to say we'll need some anntivirus for the windows side of things, if not necessarily for the mac side.

If I run ClamXav for the mac side & AVG (free) for the windows side would that suffice?
Am I right in assuming I open windows & install AVG from there, just as I would with one of those antiquated PC thingies :D

Thanks, and apologies if this has been covered 8 million times.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Both of those will work just fine. ClamXav will probably only find windows virus's as right now for OSX there are not any real Virus's in the wild. I use AntiVir on the PC side but AVG is another good free Antivirus for Windows.

Yes, you will boot into Windows and install AVG the way you would on a PC.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
AVG free should be adequate. It's all I've used for several years on my personal machines. I'd suggest either grabbing Spybot and run it once a week or just have her do her web browsing on the Mac side. You shouldn't need anything on the Mac side unless you just want something really for your own peace of mind.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, that puts my mind at ease.

D3v1L80Y - yes, checked that thread, thank you. It confused me along the line, but my conclusions were drawn from there, cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
AVG version 8 (free download) for the Windows environment is all I use on my Dell laptop and have had no problems at all.

Reaction score
I'd recommend Avast! over AVG. I recently switched over to Avast! after using AVG for a long time (over 5 years).

OP
R
Reaction score
I'd recommend Avast! over AVG. I recently switched over to Avast! after using AVG for a long time (over 5 years).

Yes, that would have been another option, I'll check it out. thanks.
Thanks all for your confirmation on these 2 apps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.