mac screen greying out, recommended restart

Reaction score
Hello folks, I am new to the forum and have a macbook pro with a recurring problem ... I wonder if any of you have had this ... ok, it has started to occasionally and randomly suggest I restart, the screen has a light grey curtain that starts at the top and moves down to the bottom and then suggests that I need to 'restart my computer' !!!!
I restart and it is fine but it may do that again at any given moment !
Any help very much appreciated ...

Cheers

Tui

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8 core 2.8GHz 14GB RAM, Geforce 8800GT, Dell 3008WFP
What you are describing is what is known as a Kernel Panic.

Basically this happens when the operating system itself "crashes".

Unfortunately the cause could be anything. But there are some things you can do to try to narrow down the cause.

Have you recently changed any hardware on your system? Faulty hardware could easily be a cause.

Are any of the same applications running when it crashes? Applications can have bugs in them that bring down the OS.

Try to think about what you did right before this started happening..

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
One of the most common causes of a Kernel Panic Attack is faulty or inappropriate memory. Have you installed any new or different memory modules of late?

If not pop Apple Hardware Test in, boot holding down 'C' and run the full program which checks memory.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thank you for the help and advice, it seems to have started since I updated the operating system a while back, I only have mobile broadband as we live in a house truck and it takes ages to download software updates, therefore I only check that now and again ... will be in a town today so will update and see if that maybe sorts it out ... I haven't installed any new memory or any new hardware since I got the machine ...
Thanks again for the feedback, very appreciated

Tui

OP
F
Reaction score
Still having the same problem and I noticed that it could be when using FIREFOX, usually does it when online ... has any one else got any ideas ?

Cheers

Tui

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8 core 2.8GHz 14GB RAM, Geforce 8800GT, Dell 3008WFP
Is the version of Firefox you're using up to date?

Are the drivers for your mobile broadband dongle, or whatever you're using, up to date?

Perhaps try another browser like Safari and see if the behaviour continues or stops.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.