• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Bill Gates doesn't allow iPhones or iPods in his house

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Funny story I saw on Yahoo!.

Bill Gates's sprawling Washington state compound is, as you might expect, packed to the gills with bleeding-edge gear, from the heated floors and 20-seat home theater to the X-ray machine (for screening the mail, of course) and miles of fiber-optic cabling. But here's what you definitely won't find at chez Gates: an iPhone.

In the latest issue of Vogue, Bill's wife, Melinda Gates, reveals that among the "very few things" on "the banned list in our household" are—you guessed it—iPods and iPhones.

Brutal, yes—especially for Bill and Melinda's three kids (two daughters and a son, aged 12, six, and nine, respectively), who'll just have to grin and bear it as their little pals make merry with the latest and greatest iPod.

And even Melinda herself admits to an occasional pang of Apple envy: "Every now and then I look at my friends and say, 'Ooh, I wouldn't mind having that iPhone.'" (Ouch!)

Then again, what else did we expect from Microsoft founder Bill Gates? The man has his pride, not to mention scores of Windows Mobile and Zune team members who'd probably feel a tad bit hurt if Bill Jr. was running around with an iPhone.

So, which phones and MP3 players are on the Gates's "good-to-go" list? Well, there's always the Zune for music and video—not the sexiest MP3 player out there, mind you, but at least it's got Wi-Fi and a snazzy interface.

And of course, there are plenty of Windows Mobile handsets to choose from; personally, I'd go for the Palm Treo Pro (if I had to get a Windows Mobile phone, that is), although it's not exactly a barrel of fun for the teens. Or how about the HTC Touch Pro? That's a pretty cool phone … I guess (as I pat the iPhone 3G in my jeans pocket).
Source: No iPhones, iPods at Bill Gates's house : Ben Patterson : Yahoo! Tech

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
that is awesome!!!

Reaction score
Sounds okay to me :)

If Bill is willing to adopt I am dropping all my apple stuff tomorrow!

Reaction score
lol, i saw this too on yahoo. I especially love what his wife says about the iphone.

Reaction score
Yahoo must update their news faster then gmail. I dropped Yahoo because of the spam coming in - 100 to 1. Thanks for pointing that out, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Apple must pose a bigger threat to Microsoft than they want to admit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It has nothing to do with Apple being a threat, it's all about public perception. The Gates kids are seen as poster children in advocating for MS technology (the article I read indicated that they have Microsoft Surface in their home and use Windows 7 as their regular OS; who knows what other developmental technology is in use at the Gates household). Could you imagine what sort of PR blow it would be to Microsoft if Gates' own children were seen using the competition's products?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Agreed. It would be like Bill Ford driving a Toyota to work.

Reaction score
Thanks cwa107 - when I searched to see if this was posted I must have used too tight a search word. Sorry Eric559.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I wonder, if Steve Jobs has one of these ban lists in his household.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Nah, Steve knows that everybody in his house will automatically default to the superior product ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
I wonder, if Steve Jobs has one of these ban lists in his household.

He banned all books published by John Wiley & Sons from Apple stores because they published a biography of him that he didn't authorize.

I was able to find out that he and his wife have had three children together (plus his grown daughter Lisa with a different woman years earlier). His children are Reed Paul (b. 1991), Erin Sienna (b. 1995), and Eve (b. 1998).

He's an incredibly private man and there's virtually nothing out there about his children other than the fact that they exist. In fact, they're such non-public figures that it probably wouldn't even matter if they used MS products, but I doubt they'd be inclined to do so. It's all speculation though.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
He banned all books published by John Wiley & Sons from Apple stores because they published a biography of him that he didn't authorize.

I was able to find out that he and his wife have had three children together (plus his grown daughter Lisa with a different woman years earlier). His children are Reed Paul (b. 1991), Erin Sienna (b. 1995), and Eve (b. 1998).

He's an incredibly private man and there's virtually nothing out there about his children other than the fact that they exist. In fact, they're such non-public figures that it probably wouldn't even matter if they used MS products, but I doubt they'd be inclined to do so. It's all speculation though.

Ah, right. I remember Steve Jobs being critical of the biography from a while back.

I'd say, if Jobs family did have a ban list, surely Microsoft's mouses would be on the list, cause Microsoft's mouses are a lot better than Apple's. :p

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I'd say, if Jobs family did have a ban list, surely Microsoft's mouses would be on the list, cause Microsoft's mouses are a lot better than Apple's. :p

Agreed except I would say Logitech instead of Microsoft. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
Agreed except I would say Logitech instead of Microsoft. :D

I prefer Logitech, but both companies have better mice than Apple. The MM is pretty bad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.