Mackie or Yamaha Mixer?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a Pro Tools LE based Home Studio. My old Yamaha 02R console died, then, I’m looking for a new mixer in the $600 -$800 range. I really need the mixer just for canalize everything to my MBox2 Pro. I have some external board (preamp, compressor), and I’ll use plug-ins for mixing. Then, I don’t need pres, dynamic, effects in the console (I never used them in my 02R), just canalize all the lines through it. (I don’t record more than 2 tracks at a time, and I work mainly with MIDI, some guitar and vocals). I also have a Patch Bay.

The following are what I need to canalize through the console:

--------------------------INS----OUTS
8 synth modules ...........16
3 pre/dynamics..............2.........2
2 decks (Dats, etc).........4.........4
MBox............................4.........4
Direct Box/Mic................2
Monitor....................................2
Headphones Box.......................2

I’ve read about the Yamaha MG24 and the Mackie 1604 Vlz (?)

Is it OK if I run all my synth modules through an old Roland line mixer I have, before to go to the main Mixer?

I know just the basic for record/ and mix (I’m a producer songwriter), then tech matters are Chinese to me. (Be patient, please).

Thanx in advance for any advice.

Reaction score
I'm a mackie fan but I would go for the Yamaha in your case.

The pres and the eq's better in mackie in my opinion but you don't use them so go for MG24. Its pre and Eq's are also good but not as good.

Also the yamaha console has a lot more of routing options.

If you route all your synths through an old roland mixer you will get more noise but if you don't hear the difference it does probably not matter.

You will need to connect the old roland mixer to a sterio channel or push the pad button on the yamaha console on the channels in wich you connect it so you don't damage the outputs in the long run.

OP
L
Reaction score
I'm a mackie fan but I would go for the Yamaha in your case.

The pres and the eq's better in mackie in my opinion but you don't use them so go for MG24. Its pre and Eq's are also good but not as good.

Also the yamaha console has a lot more of routing options.

If you route all your synths through an old roland mixer you will get more noise but if you don't hear the difference it does probably not matter.

You will need to connect the old roland mixer to a sterio channel or push the pad button on the yamaha console on the channels in wich you connect it so you don't damage the outputs in the long run.

Thanks a lot for your advices. Finally I bought the MG24. Now I plug all the sound modules, but I have some doubts about the right jacks to connect:
- The MBox2 (for record and for monitoring)
- The monitors
- The external pre
- The headphones box
- The CD Player
- The DAT (in & out)

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help (I'm not a tech friendly):(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.