• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Camcorder Downloading

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 (PowerPC), iPod Touch & iPod Nano
Hi!:D I'm brand new to this forum and I have been a Apple computer fan for almost 20 years.

I presently have a 17" iMac G5 PowerPC and soon will be purchasing a new 24" iMac with the intel processor.

I just bought a Canon FS10 camcorder with 8GB internal memory and a SD card slot and it seems like a nice camera for the money.

However I'm running into a roadblock when it comes to getting my movies onto my computer. Since iMovie requires Firewire and this camera only has USB, I'm told I need 3rd party software.:[

I bought this camera because I'm on a budget and the internal memory allows me to defer buying a 8GB or 16GB SD card right now. But now it seems that I have to spend some pretty big bucks on programs like Adobe Elements 7.0 or Final Cut Express 4.0.1 just to see my movies. Even Imagemixer3 is big $.

Anyone have some suggestions or is downloading via USB going to be excruciatingly slow anyway compared to Firewire. The camera is only 5 days old and I could probably still return it.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
What you likely need is software to convert the camera's codec to something friendly to the Mac. Have you tried the software supplied by Canon?

When you plug the camera into the Mac, does it come up as a drive? Can you see the video files?

I couldn't find the spec of the codec used so I would have excluded that camera as a purchase option. Can you take it back.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 (PowerPC), iPod Touch & iPod Nano
What you likely need is software to convert the camera's codec to something friendly to the Mac. Have you tried the software supplied by Canon?

When you plug the camera into the Mac, does it come up as a drive? Can you see the video files?

I couldn't find the spec of the codec used so I would have excluded that camera as a purchase option. Can you take it back.

Thanks for your reply xstep!

When the camera is plugged in to the computer it does show up as a drive. If you click to see what's in the drive the videos are .mod files and that's where I think the problem lies.

If returning the camera is my only choice then tha's what I'll have to do, but it may mean buying an even more expensive camera. I see that Panasonic cameras use MPEG2 recording format. Maybe this is a better way to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Search this forum for converting MOD files. I'm sure you'll find some free solutions.

I think Panasonic is a hit and miss for working with Macs. Research the camera model compatibility with OS X before purchasing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.