Parental controls on firefox.

Reaction score
I am new to mac just got it yesterday. I am a old school pc user and love firefox. I have kids so I want to use firefox for me and my kids but have parental controls on their firefox. How do I do this or am I stuck with Safari?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Sorry I can't be of much help here but there is a Parental Controls preference pane in System Preferences. I don't use it so I can't really help with it. It says it allows you to control, among other things, how your children use applications though.

I don't think though that is entirely what you want. Will it suffice?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am new to mac just got it yesterday. I am a old school pc user and love firefox. I have kids so I want to use firefox for me and my kids but have parental controls on their firefox. How do I do this or am I stuck with Safari?

Parental controls are not activated from within Safari or Firefox. As Van stated, there is a parental controls system preference which you can access and control the use of the machine with regard to your children. It also includes controlling internet access. I haven't dug into it so have no idea exactly what you can control as far as on line access is concerned.

However, I believe if you're wanting something sophisticated you'll have to spring for a third party application. No difference from Windows.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Also try using OpenDNS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
OS X's Parental Controls only works with OS X's browser, Safari.

You don't have to use Safari on your own account, though.

Reaction score
Not true. At least for Intel Macs w/10.5.8 and up. However, Firefox 3.5.2 and up have some problems with Parental Controls in sites requiring/using authenticating proxies for logging in. I'm exploring fixes and work-arounds for this as I write. If anyone has ideas, help appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
I've done it with 10.5.6, they do work in Safari and Firefox, and probably others too. The only workaround I can think of is a real firewall tool, probably overkill for that kind of situation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.