• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Burning iDVD movie takes 4hrs+?!

C

code777

ok, i have an iMovie project that is about 11GB and 1hr long. When i imported it to iDVD and tried to burn the project, it took over 4hrs. Is there another way to do this? Did I do something wrong? Should it take that long!? Help!

OP
W

Wapa18

yeah it's gonna take pretty long, especially on an ibook. don't get me wrong, ibooks are great, but not the fastest for video encoding. 4 hours sounds pretty normal.

OP
C

code777

actually the burning was done on a 15" Powerbook. It took a total of 4.5hrs to complete. After the encoding was done burning copies only took maybe 40mins. My friend was like, "**** my Powerbook is gonna explode!!!!" the thing was as hot as a grill! We were worried.

But the DVD came out well and everything worked out fine! Just wasn't sure if that was normal but I guess it is. Maybe soon this time will get cut down???

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I would be happy if on my 500Mhz Ti powerbook, it wold take only 4.5 hours to encode and burn. It takes any where between 8 and 14 hours for me to encode and burn.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.