What in the world is going on here?

Reaction score
I apologize if this is not in the correct sub-forum.

My Powerbook fan has been quite loud for the past few months, so I bought a bottle of compressed air to spray off any dust that may have been surrounding it. Not only did it not work whatsoever, it made my computer WORSE.

The colors on my screen are screwing up worse than you would believe. I've never seen this happen before (on any computer), so it's quite difficult to explain. I took this screenshot with Preview to give you an idea:

http://i41.tinypic.com/2mbcoz.jpg

Notice that stupid crap in the upper left-hand corner. Now picture that blinking all over your entire screen, keeping you from working/reading/ANYTHING! When I change my desktop background, it momentarily fixes it. The same goes for dragging and highlighting with my mouse. Weird, huh?

Anyway, it's gotten consistently worse over the past couple days. Did I spray the wrong computer part with the air? How can I fix it? Please help, this is the most obnoxious computer problem I've ever dealt with. :(

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
I think you may have damaged or loosened the cable that connects your LCD screen to the logic board.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" eMac 1.42 GHz G4, Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger"
I saw this kind of thing on my brother's computer once when his graphics card started to give up the ghost. Your graphics chipset could be on its way out, but check the connection between the screen and logic board first as suggested.

OP
S
Reaction score
I think you may have damaged or loosened the cable that connects your LCD screen to the logic board.

That sure sounds like the problem. So, what is that and how do I fix it?

I saw this kind of thing on my brother's computer once when his graphics card started to give up the ghost. Your graphics chipset could be on its way out, but check the connection between the screen and logic board first as suggested.

Will definitely consider that if I can't fix the LCD cable.

Thanks a lot, y'all. Mucho appreciato. I can't stand this much longer. :Angry:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.