Problems partitioning and installing Windows with Boot Camp

Reaction score
Failed Attempt At Using Bootcamp

ok so the problem...
i initilly ran the bootcmap and split up my harddrive space, 30gb windows 220 mac
then i confrmed evertyhing and restarted the computer with the windows xp disc inside
(NOTE i did not follow the corect steps of how to use bootcamp and yes i kno this was foolish, please just help with the problem at hand)

i did install windows xp thinkin i was installin it to its ccorrect partition but i now think i installed it to the entire computer

so now when i turn on the compute i am taken to a blank screen with a blinkin line, when leftr alone nothinghappens

i tried using the original mac os x discs to restore the computer but there is no "destination"" listed to go to an everything is grayed out and unclickable

i just want to restore my old os, i have no urge to recover any files, i justr want t restore my old mac and be able to use it, what should i do??

also please explain this as simply as possible and thoroughly as i am not big on computer terms and not very involved in computers, i have read other guides but been unable t understand everything of what they are saying

as far as i ko i need to "delet my hardrive" but i dont know how to do that, can someone give me a detailed simple way of going about this
thank you, this is greatly appreciated

OP
J
Reaction score
APTMUNICH OR ANYONE I NEED HELP
so i instsalled the windows xp cd while loading up the computer instead of the proper way
screen is grayed out wen i try to reinstall the mac os system from disc, and i cannto choose anything nor is there a deestination to go to, you keep saying deleter hardrive, what do u mean by that and how do i go ab out doing it, could u please be as detailed as possible

OP
J
Reaction score
ACCIDENTALLY deleted my os trying to install windows

ok so the problem...
i initilly ran the bootcmap and split up my harddrive space, 30gb windows 220 mac
then i confrmed evertyhing and restarted the computer with the windows xp disc inside
(NOTE i did not follow the corect steps of how to use bootcamp and yes i kno this was foolish, please just help with the problem at hand)

i did install windows xp thinkin i was installin it to its ccorrect partition but i now think i installed it to the entire computer

so now when i turn on the compute i am taken to a blank screen with a blinkin line, when leftr alone nothinghappens

i tried using the original mac os x discs to restore the computer but there is no "destination"" listed to go to an everything is grayed out and unclickable

i just want to restore my old os, i have no urge to recover any files, i justr want t restore my old mac and be able to use it, what should i do??

also please explain this as simply as possible and thoroughly as i am not big on computer terms and not very involved in computers, i have read other guides but been unable t understand everything of what they are saying

as far as i ko i need to "delet my hardrive" but i dont know how to do that, can someone give me a detailed simple way of going about this

OP
J
Reaction score
ACCIDENTALLY deleted/replaced my OS WITH WINDOWS

ok so the problem...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Merged multiple cross-posts

OP
J
Reaction score
Alright I know how to make a partition, but once Im installing windows my only choices for partitioning is Partition1 (Unknown). There is no bootcamp partition for a choice.
Could it be my windows cd I am using also? It says on my windows cd Windows XP Professional, but nothing else.

All help would be appreciated :D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sounds like you created the partition using Disk Utitlity? You must use BootCamp for this. Open BootCamp, and print out the directions - it's on the first screen.

You'll need XP Pro with at least SP2 in order to install it. You can create a new disk by slipstreaming. Directions abound for doing this - just google slipstream XP. Not sure if you can do it on your Mac or you'll need a Win machine to do it.

OP
J
Reaction score
No I am using Boot camp. I go to application/utilities/boot camp assistant. Unless what your saying is, there is another way I'm unaware of and its not under utilities at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Merged Crossposts

justinhauad said:
Could it be my windows cd I am using also? It says on my windows cd Windows XP Professional, but nothing else.
The tip in this thread is worth its weight in gold:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/wi...otcamp-save-yourself-possibly-hours-time.html

From the Boot Camp Installation instructions available on the Boot Camp page on Apple's site:
Â
Windows XP Home Edition or Professional with Service Pack 2 or later, or Windows
Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate
Important:
You must use a single full-install Windows installation disc (Service Pack 2 is
required for Windows XP installations). Do not use an upgrade version of Windows and do not install an earlier version of Windows XP and attempt to update it later to SP2 or later. Use only 32-bit versions of Windows. If you have a Mac Pro or a MacBook Pro introduced in early 2008 or later, you can use a 64-bit version of Windows Vista.
If your disc says simply "Windows XP Professional" and nothing else, chances are it isn't the proper, genuine version of Windows that you need for a Boot Camp Windows install.

How to tell if your copy of Windows is legitimate.

OP
J
Reaction score
Well it is not a bootleg copy if thats what your intending. But this CD is not a recent one. When you say no earlier version of XP are you including XP Professional also.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
This has already answered that question.

Â
Windows XP Home Edition or Professional with Service Pack 2 or later, or Windows
Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate
Important:
You must use a single full-install Windows installation disc (Service Pack 2 is
required for Windows XP installations). Do not use an upgrade version of Windows and do not install an earlier version of Windows XP and attempt to update it later to SP2 or later. Use only 32-bit versions of Windows. If you have a Mac Pro or a MacBook Pro introduced in early 2008 or later, you can use a 64-bit version of Windows Vista.

And to find out how to create a disk with SP2 is also in the posts above.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.