• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Freedom of Speech at risk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It's a UN resolution, which means it has absolutely zero effect on essentially anybody. ;P

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Haha yeah, as true as it is.. They're still going try and "get other countries" to adopt it into their laws, which would in turn affect us.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD, OS X 10.6.6, iPod Classic 160GB, iPhone 4
CNN - who the heck watches that nonsense?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" eMac 1.42 GHz G4, Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger"
I remember reading somewhere once that it's not so much a matter of free speech as free listening these days, but I can't remember where I read it as it was a long time ago.

Anyway, I thought it was an interesting perspective. I'm not sure if I agree with it though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Haha yeah, as true as it is.. They're still going try and "get other countries" to adopt it into their laws, which would in turn affect us.

Practically every other country in the world has more restrictions on free speech than the US. I somehow doubt this latest boondoggle by the UN is going to have any sort of effect on our free speech laws.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Practically every other country in the world has more restrictions on free speech than the US.
Care to provide proof of that? Everything I've read argues the contrary. See this for example. Simply because it is enshrined in the supreme piece of legislation for the US (as it is in other countries, Canada being one of them) doesn't make it pervasive through every institution in the land.

As for the video, and I will keep this as civil as I can, the argument, should it have been interpreted properly, is ludicrous. As an staunch atheist, I can't believe that regulations like this can even be considered. Then again, I'm glad that international law is unenforceable and therefore meaningless.

EDIT: Here are more up to date results for the previously supplied data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I will discriminate against whoever I darn well please, however I darn well please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
What a lot of fear mongering over nothing

Bear in mind the resolution calls on governments to enact laws, so while the piece talks of American citizens being prosecuted, it doesn't stress that it's simply not going to happen

The anchor man is also keen to underline that the nations behind it are all Muslim and not democracies, the only country the female reporter mentions is Pakistan, the anchor then reaffirms that the backers are not democracies again (he is obviously not aware that Pakistan recently had a general election)

There is nothing to worry about since no nation can be forced to enact laws, especially ones that conflict with its constitution

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There is nothing to worry about since no nation can be forced to enact laws, especially ones that conflict with its constitution
My point exactly - international law is unenforceable on member nation-states. I know a few examples where the Canadian gov't has rejected UN orders because they didn't agree.

This is the media doing what it does best - sensationalizing that which is trivial.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
The anchor man is also keen to underline that the nations behind it are all Muslim and not democracies, the only country the female reporter mentions is Pakistan, the anchor then reaffirms that the backers are not democracies again (he is obviously not aware that Pakistan recently had a general election)

I noticed that as well. He asked how many were not democracies, she said she doesn't know, only mentioning one country. Then he affirms they, collectively, are not democracies. Typical slant political journalism at it's best.

The thing is that you can't legislate people into being nice and getting along, just like you can't legislate people to be good and honest. We try really hard, passing new laws all the time, but it just doesn't work that way.

This idea is a very slippery slope, because eventually you can interpret anything into having religious ties. Eventually you wouldn't be able to criticize anything.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter because nothing will come of it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.