OK, i switched but this Entourage it terrible?

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post as i just found this forum. I switched from Years of Windows and I love my Mac, but I want something like Outlook for email which is a big part of my day. I bought Entourage but im so disapointed with it. What on earth does it do to HTML flyers when you try to forward them? Why when you redirect, can you not edit or use CC or BCC? Why will it not let me insert HTMl code into an email?

Am i missing something or is this just a terrible email program?

Do I have an alternative?

Thanks Guys......

Phil

[email protected]

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Entourage is garbage from my limited experience. True, it was limited but it was so for a reason. Don't use it unless you need exchange.

What about Mail? Thunderbird is pretty good and Postbox looks promising.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As of version 2, yes. If you're using Leopard, you're fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 3.06GHz, 1TB HD, 4GB RAM; MBP 15" 2.53 GHz
Phil,

I've only had my Mac for a couple of weeks now, and have been bouncing between Entourage and Mac's native mail program. Mail seems like a pretty good program in terms of how it handles messages, but I'm struggling with the mental adjustment from a single all-in-one program like Outlook to multiple programs for mail, contacts, calendar. I haven't settled on one yet, but I do find myself using mail more than Entourage these days.

Mail seems to do a better job handling messages when they come in and forwards HTML just fine. I'm not sure what you mean by redirect, but when I forward, I still have the ability to CC, BCC, etc. Is redirect something different? Don't think I've used the term with email before.

All in all, Mail seems the better of the two. Now if I can just wean myself from my Windows ways of thinking... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Aluminum unibody MBP, Intel core duo 2.4GHz proc, 4MB DDR3 RAM,
I'm a heavy emailer for work. I tried Entourage and Mail simultaneously (with an Exchange account).
I ended up dumping Entourage because the calendar alerts would go off whether the program was running or not (if I'm not signed in, I don't want to see alerts!). If there is a way to turn that off, I don't know about it, but it was so irritating, I just scrapped it altogether.

That said, I like Mail a lot.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just my opinion here but...

Sometimes I have to wonder at the "mentality" that seems to prevail at Microsoft. Mac users from way back remember that Word and Excel started on the Mac platform, and certainly MS knows that Mac Office is a "cash cow" for them.

So, why in the world did they come up with such a pitiful excuse for a PIM like Entourage instead of providing a version of Outlook for OS X and include it with Mac Office instead? And how about a version of "Publisher" for Mac OS X?

Come on Redmond, wake up!

Regards.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I hope Florida Phil can get used to Mail, since while it is a big shift from Outlook , its a great mail app

However, on the Entourage garbling forwarded HTML thing, if anybody else is plagued by this (especially in an office where you have to use it) then I never forward html emails, it just doesn't work.

You can send HTML emails in entourage though, you just build or save the html in whatever web program you choose and then point your mail message to the html using a handy script

ScriptBuilders: Send Complex HTML With Inline Files 2004 0.4.1

Haven't tested it in 2008, but gets the job done if you have no alternative

Reaction score
I was thoroughly disappointed that Office 2008 for Mac's version of Entourage isn't the same as the Window's outlook. Depending on your syncing needs(iPhone, Smartphone, etc)....

1. Try the Mozilla Email/Calendar-Thunderbird/Lightining. Calendar Project - Home of Lightning and Sunbird®

2. Use the Apple Mail/Calendar. Honestly, I don't like the Calendar or Mail in Apple. I wish they would combine them. I do the Google thing, so I sync them up with my web-based Google content so I can go both ways in this arena. Work within the web(95%) and do the rest on the MacBookPro(5%). Primarily use the calendar and contacts. I don't use the Mail client.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
I'd say give Mail a shot. I use it for both my .Mac and my AOL accounts. In conjunction with the native calendar and and address book applications, I'm more than happy with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.