Help with installing OS X

M

meredith

I have a G3 Tower with a 4.25 GB SCSI HD.

I was running OS 9.2 and tried to install OS X.2

I wanted a fresh start, so I backed up my important info, booted up from the System Software disk, and initialized my hard drive with OS Extended format.

I then chose to install OS X.2, and waited while the installation began. When the process got close to the end, my machine froze. I tried restarting and installing again, and the same thing happened, each time I reinitialized the drive.

After about 3 hours of frustration, I decided to try installing OS 9.2.1 from the disk. About 3 minutes into the installation I got this error Encountered a problem with "Big System Morsels" file, installation cannot continue.

Help! I don't know what to do....any help would be so appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Meredith

OP
M

meredith

Can't find start up disk

meredith said:
I have a G3 Tower with a 4.25 GB SCSI HD.

I was running OS 9.2 and tried to install OS X.2

I wanted a fresh start, so I backed up my important info, booted up from the System Software disk, and initialized my hard drive with OS Extended format.

I then chose to install OS X.2, and waited while the installation began. When the process got close to the end, my machine froze. I tried restarting and installing again, and the same thing happened, each time I reinitialized the drive.

After about 3 hours of frustration, I decided to try installing OS 9.2.1 from the disk. About 3 minutes into the installation I got this error Encountered a problem with "Big System Morsels" file, installation cannot continue.

Help! I don't know what to do....any help would be so appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Meredith

Ok, for some reason, the software installed without freezing, and I got a successful installation message and my computer rebooted. Problem. Without the CD with the OS in the drive, my computer won't start up. Blinking question mark. I think the computer can't start up because it thinks the CD drive is the start up drive?! Any ideas on how to designate the start up disk? I looked everywhere in the disk utility on the OSX install disk, but can't find it. I tried putting in the OS 9.2.1 disk and have to reformat to choose the startup. AAAHHH!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
System Preferences>>Start up disk

OP
M

meredith

MacAddikt said:
System Preferences>>Start up disk

I can't even get to the hard drive now without the disk. So I can't get to the System Preferences.

I reinstalled OS 9.2.1 then OSX.
Opened drive set up, selected the OSX system folder, restarted and the computer gray screens, runs code across the top, then restarts over and over.

Any ideas? Could this be a firmware issue with my HD?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.