Some Advice, if possible.

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

For my whole life i've been a very large PC supporter, and never really had any contact with Macs. I never really minded them untill those commericals started with the whole Pc Vs. Mac and they started to annoy me.

On the flipside, I bloody love ipods. I love music and adore my current ipod touch (my fourth one through a series of unfortunate accidents).

Currently I am in the midst of a 9 month volunteer program and have no money, however upon my return I need to buy a laptop. Here my dilemna begins. I've recently began giving much though to buying a mac laptop. You see, mostly what i do with laptops is video and music, and some boring work (typing, etc.)

My knowledge of Macs is nill to none. So the advice which i ask for is, comparable to windows (the only OS i havemuch experience with) how does the mac OS function. How many web programs (torrent sites, media players) etc. Are compatible with Macs. The expected lifetime of the Macbook (pro or Air). And such. For someone who uses his iPod nonstop the thought of having a matching OS to go with it, itunes, being able to properly sync calenders and contacts, etc. would be quite nice, but i have no idea if it's worth the cost. Which is astronomical, which brings me to the next question. How come they're bloody cheapest at 1500 (Canadian). Anyhow anything you can tell me about them would be most useful. Keep in Mind that iw on't be purchasing anything untill my program (Katimavik) is over in June and i have NO experience with macs (i've been on one for 5 minutes once).

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
If you go the Mac way, you'll probably want a MacBook Pro, given your intention. Considerably more expensive than the MacBook, but it's made for people like you.

As for how Mac OS works as compared to Windows...well...my MacBook boots almost instantly -- seriously, within about ten seconds after cold boot, I can be browsing the web. It also crashes less frequently; in fact, I've yet to have a system crash on my MacBook but I can't tell you how many I have on my PC at work every day and at home every day. :( (XP Pro on both.)

Expected lifetime of the MacBook - dunno. :)

Pretty much everything you can access over the web is Mac-compatible -- Java, Flash, Real, etc. There's plenty of BitTorrent support on the Mac...the only thing you might have an issue with is any site that has DRM-protected WMV that might not be Mac-compatible.

And people do bring up the price thing a lot...the thing is, if you bring an equivalent PC up to the specs of a Mac (complete with the same kind of software that already comes with the Mac -- a photo editor, a multitrack digital recorder, a web design program, a movie maker, a DVD movie burning program, etc.) you'd end up spending just as much....

OP
Huggs
Reaction score
thanks!

I have a few more questions brought up by your post.

The first, since the macbook pro is made for people like me, what exactly is the differentiation between other macs, in terms of functions?

My other problem with the price is that PC's (admittely laptops are a different game) are much cheaper if you can follow basic instructions. To put together a Pc with top end specs is roughly 1000, and frankly software is free if you can again, follow basic instructions. Now i personally prefer to buy software that i use alot (photoshop and the like) but for silly things (format converters, or silly things like that) it is free. Not to derail this thread into an argument of piracy.

My other inquiry centers around the functionality of a mac OS synching with an iPod. I know this is probably a forehead smack to most people on this forum, but again I have 0 experience with a MAC. Is there inbuilt software for MACS in terms of synching calenders, contacts, etc. Onto your ipod/iphone or are these third party programs that must be purchased?

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
I think you can set what you want your computer to sync to your iPod automatically in iTunes when you plug the iPod in via USB. I'm not sure you can sync calendars, though - I'll have to check.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
The first, since the macbook pro is made for people like me, what exactly is the differentiation between other macs, in terms of functions?
Since you're interested in a laptop, here are the primary ways in which the MacBook Pro is different from the MacBook:

- Larger, higher resolution screen (nice for image/video editing or any software that eats up screen space)
- Faster CPUs available
- Dedicated graphics processor (mostly useful for gaming)
- Firewire port (may be necessary depending on what devices you have; it's especially used for music-related devices)

The standard MacBook is fine for most things but if you need Firewire, then your only options are the white MacBook and the MacBook Pro. The aluminum MacBooks have no Firewire.

My other problem with the price is that PC's (admittely laptops are a different game) are much cheaper if you can follow basic instructions. To put together a Pc with top end specs is roughly 1000
With desktops, I'd agree. You can build your own PC desktop with awesome specs for $1000 and it'll kill a $2000 iMac. Things are a bit different with laptops, though. Mac laptops tend to be built better than most, and that's actually very important. They're also thin and light compared to most Windows laptops. And they have smaller screens, which is sometimes bad, but it can also be good (because it makes the laptop a lot more portable).

Bottom line, most of Apple's laptops are pretty competitive with PC laptops in the same price range. They might not be quite as fast but they're usually much nicer. You can get cheaper and faster ones, but they're often pretty flimsy. Of course, desktops are an entirely different story.

and frankly software is free if you can again, follow basic instructions. Now i personally prefer to buy software that i use alot (photoshop and the like) but for silly things (format converters, or silly things like that) it is free. Not to derail this thread into an argument of piracy.
Let's not delve into it too much, but I would raise the point that there's a lot more free software (and a lot more software in general) available for Windows. The good thing is you can install Windows on a Mac and run both, but it's still sort of a hassle. Basically, you can do most anything with a Mac, but with Windows you usually have more options.

As for the iLife package, it's wonderful and worth quite a bit - if you use it, that is. If you don't, then it doesn't add anything to the value. Personally, I prefer irfanview and foobar2000 (both freeware) over iPhoto and iTunes. And I can't comment on equivalents to iMovie, iDVD, or GarageBand since I never used any of them when I had a Mac and I've never looked for or needed equivalent software on my PC.

My other inquiry centers around the functionality of a mac OS synching with an iPod. I know this is probably a forehead smack to most people on this forum, but again I have 0 experience with a MAC. Is there inbuilt software for MACS in terms of synching calenders, contacts, etc. Onto your ipod/iphone or are these third party programs that must be purchased?
That's one area where you'll love a Mac. It does all that stuff really easily. After all, Apple designed both the Mac OS and the iPod!

You should probably lay out a budget and what you intend to do with the computer so people can assist you better. I'd almost recommend a netbook to you, but they're too limited to use as your only computer unless you're desperate. A MacBook might be a good choice. But you are coming from Windows so you have to look over all your options and decide if it's worth taking a chance by getting a Mac. You don't happen to have access to an Apple store or at least someone who has a Mac that you can use, do you? That'll help your decision. You wouldn't want to buy one and then immediately regret it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo White macbook, 2GB RAM, Running OS 10.5.6
It sounds like an aluminum MacBook would be the right kind of computer for you. It will run ANYTHING you throw at it. I know this for a fact cause I use my last years white macbook to its fullest extent and it doesn't give me any problems.

Macbook Pro is probably a little extreme for your first mac since you have absolutely no clue if mac is really right for you anyway. I would go with the cheaper if I was switching.

For software functionality, I tend to customize my mac as much as I can to add a personal feel to it and I start up with a ton of apps running. It really varies between days but it averages about 1 minute full boot up with all apps running and loaded into the cache. I haven't had any problems while running OSX except for when I run the VM on Parallels. It struggles with graphics in the VM and it is slow to transition back to the real machine. You probably won't use Parallels or another VM app cause you can do all you need to with boot camp.

Check out screencasts of macs on youtube. They'll get you a feel for the interface before you make your decision. Watch the mac tips and tricks ones because they really get down to the basics at first and then you might want to delve deeper into what you can do with your mac if you like what you see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
You've already kind of answered your question: you clearly love your ipod as well as itunes, which comes with Macs. What does a PC have? Windows Media Player. Macbooks have iMovie. What does a PC have? Windows Movie Maker. Few of the Windows programs match the included Mac applications which come as part of the package.

And there is quite a bit of free software for Macs, especially if you go to MacUpdate.com. I've been downloading all kinds of cool apps and it's nice to know that none of them will give my MacBook a virus.

I haven't experienced any compatibility issues with my Mac, but if I ever do, I know I can always reboot into my Windows XP partition.

Macbooks are expensive, but they're very fast and durable compared to other laptops. I have a MB Pro and I use it for video editing and music making and it's designed to be used for that stuff. Even though it gets hot, I can leave it on all night rendering, compressing and exporting and it won't crash or anything.

Since you're really getting two operating systems in one, I'd say go with the MBP. But even if you're not exactly "pro", the same apps come with regular Macbooks, so you still do a lot with them. The MBP might be overkill, but only you know what you need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Oh, and from what I hear, their life span is a few years at least. I've heard they're updatable for like seven years. They're made pretty solidly, yet are so slim and elegant. I never feel like it's too flimsy or bulky... they're just right.

Reaction score
Regarding how long it will last, I'm typing this from a 5 year old Powerbook (The predecessor of the Macbook Pro) which is running as well now as it was the day I bought it (Despite several accidents, including a 6ft drop onto a concrete kerb stone - althouh slim and good looking it has the build quality of a tank, lol).

The only thing that has remotely gone wrong is that the battery doesn't last long on a charge these days and could do with being replaced but after 5 years use I can't complain!

OP
Huggs
Reaction score
Alright, well i'm getting a fairly good idea. Also I would go to an Apple Store and badger them with these questions instead but, I'm in swiftcurrent Saskatchewan right now. How i'm planning to purchase my new laptop is at the end of my program I receive a grant of 1000$ and then I can work for a week or three for the other cash.

Also for those interested, Katimavik is a youth volunteer program available to Canadians. You need to apply and if selected you spend 9 months travelling around Canada. You spend three months in three spots, one of which must be a french Community. One also travels with other katimavik youth, living with up to 11 others. You volunteer at community placements 9-5 mon-fri. You earn three dollars a day, but your rent is payed for and you have a food budget. (6.11$ a day). If you finish the program you receive a 1000$ grant.

So yeah right now I'm in the midst of the program (5 months in) and only have my iPod Touch. But I do need to buy the laptop when I finish.

So to summarize what i've been told was that MACS are generally easier to use, safer, more expensive and not as compatible though you are capable to load a windows OS though it is a hassle. (Is this available on laptops, or just the actual towers).

For a firewire, i've no real experience with them, but aren't these just USBs with faster transfer rates? Also, not to nitpick but how does MSN run on macs? and other windows software, such as office, and converting certain documents (excel, etc.)

thanks again for all the advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So to summarize what i've been told was that MACS are generally easier to use, safer, more expensive and not as compatible though you are capable to load a windows OS though it is a hassle. (Is this available on laptops, or just the actual towers).
Actually it's not really much of a hassle. You just need a copy of Windows XP or Vista you can install. Boot Camp is a utility from Apple that will partition your drive and put all the Windows drivers on there so you can dual-boot Windows and OS X. Any Intel Mac can do this, not just towers.

For a firewire, i've no real experience with them, but aren't these just USBs with faster transfer rates?
Firewire is not the same as USB. It has faster versions available, though not on any MacBook. The main advantage is that it has no processing overhead, and it's used on a lot of professional audio and video recording devices. You probably don't need it, though, reading your description. When you said you use it for music I thought you meant something like amateur music production, where having Firewire may actually be necessary. If you just mean listening to music, then Firewire isn't really helpful.

Also, not to nitpick but how does MSN run on macs? and other windows software, such as office, and converting certain documents (excel, etc.)
You can find equivalents to practically everything. There's an official MSN client but you can also use a multi-chat client like Adium (the Mac equivalent of Trillian or Pidgin). There is a version of MS Office for Mac, and you can also use NeoOffice or OpenOffice.Org (both free open source software) to open, edit, and create Word/Excel/PowerPoint documents.

OP
Huggs
Reaction score
Actually it's not really much of a hassle. You just need a copy of Windows XP or Vista you can install. Boot Camp is a utility from Apple that will partition your drive and put all the Windows drivers on there so you can dual-boot Windows and OS X. Any Intel Mac can do this, not just towers.

Firewire is not the same as USB. It has faster versions available, though not on any MacBook. The main advantage is that it has no processing overhead, and it's used on a lot of professional audio and video recording devices. You probably don't need it, though, reading your description. When you said you use it for music I thought you meant something like amateur music production, where having Firewire may actually be necessary. If you just mean listening to music, then Firewire isn't really helpful.

You can find equivalents to practically everything. There's an official MSN client but you can also use a multi-chat client like Adium (the Mac equivalent of Trillian or Pidgin). There is a version of MS Office for Mac, and you can also use NeoOffice or OpenOffice.Org (both free open source software) to open, edit, and create Word/Excel/PowerPoint documents.

well, I certainly have alot to think about. Thanks alot Mama Luigi You've been particularily helpful.

Also one last thing. Although I've been whininga bout price, I have to ask. How is the Macbook air. I will admit, i want one. I mean, it's so tiny! I probably could never afford it, but how does she run, and is it a practical choice for a first time user?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Personally, the MB Air isn't worth it's cost unless you absolutely need a laptop that thin. It's expensive and underpowered for its price. It also doesn't come with an optical drive and only one USB port. While you can get around some of these limitations, it requires that you spend more money (after already dropping at least two grand). You can get a much better MB at a much more reasonable price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you want a teeny-tiny laptop, get a netbook. Smaller/lighter (but not thinner) than the Air, and much cheaper. They're lots slower, though, and usually they run a more basic OS than Windows (some cut-down Linux variant).

The way I see it, the MacBook Air is basically the same as a MacBook. The only advantage is the fact that it's thinner and lighter, but it has the same footprint and overall it's much slower and has fewer features, at a much higher price.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.