New & A Few Questions =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Macbook
Hey everyone,

Just joined the forum as I'm trying to find out a few things and figured this would be the best way =)

Basically, I would like to know is there a way to view everything that is on your hard drive (programs, files, apps, docs etc) and get rid of the stuff you don't want?

I've gone through Apps and dragged stuff to the Trash, for instance Limewire (because I couldn't get it to work) yet if I go to Spotlight and search Limewire, it brings up a bunch of other stuff that I can't seem to find to get rid of.

So, what's my best bet? As I get the feeling there's a load of stuff on my Macbook that I don't need/use and could get rid of to free up space.

I've search the forum (and the internet to a certain extent) to see if I can find an answer but no luck so far.

So any help would be great.

Thanks =)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There may be some small preference files left over from when you uninstalled Limewire. Since they're small and take up little space, there's no harm in leaving them.

You might want to download a program that will delete an application completely. That is, even the small preference files that are left behind.

AppDelete

AppCleaner

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Macbook
I've tried this and although it works for the applications and such that I can find, is there anything I can do about the ones that come up through a search/Spotlight but I can't find?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure exactly what you're trying to accomplish? Are you running out of hard drive space and perhaps want to remove applications that are not in use?

Some folks who have posted in this forum who were into "cleaning" their hard drive by deleting apps or files have gotten into trouble by doing so. If a search for a file or folder comes up empty, best to leave well enough alone rather than removing something which later on might be needed.

Regards.

Reaction score
Hold command when clicking on something in spotlight and it will show it in a finder window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.66ghz 4GB Ram
command click seems to be your best bet, good luck

Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram
I have what I think you are looking for. There are two small apps that I use to find any traces of programs deleted and sent to trash. One program is called "Easyfind" and the other one is called "Find File". You can google them for the Mac. When I use either one or both of these apps I find lots of related files still on the computer. These two apps help remove any leftovers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
Other than command click, you could just hover over the search results in spotlight and just look at the path ( it will pop up after a few seconds) Or you can open a computer search in finder and the remaining files will show up in a window :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.