PC emulation using external HDD

Reaction score
Hi

I want to go over to a Macbook but I sometimes have to use some reasonably powerful PC Windows applications.

I've worked out that the ideal solution would be for me to have a Mac set up as a Mac but to also have an external HDD with Windows and all my PC stuff on. The idea is that when I'm on the move I could plug the HDD into the Mac sometimes to use the Mac as a PC but that when I'm at home I can plug that HDD into a desktop PC and boot from it. That way (at home) I get to have use of my Mac and a PC at the same time.

I called Apple but they insisted that the Windows stuff could only be stored on the Mac's internal HDD. This isn't ideal as it means I'd have to maintain one set of PC stuff on the Mac and another on the desktop at home.

Does anyone know of any solutions to my issue? ie a way to have a "HDD PC" that I can either run from the Mac or a PC

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Windows will not run from an external drive. This is a MS limitation with it's OS. Doesn't matter if it's a Mac or you build the system yourself.

OP
N
Reaction score
I didn't know that Windows would know what it was stored on so if you changed the boot order of your PC to boot from USB first then it would do so (if you attached a USB HDD with Windows on it

Maybe I need to try this out in practice on the PC first then see if it can be applied to a Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
I didn't know that Windows would know what it was stored on so if you changed the boot order of your PC to boot from USB first then it would do so (if you attached a USB HDD with Windows on it

Maybe I need to try this out in practice on the PC first then see if it can be applied to a Mac

Windows will not boot form an external drive. Period.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

You've been told it won't work. And... it won't. It's a MS limitation and would be a violation of the Windows license and EULA. I suggest you try it out for yourself if you don't believe what was stated here.

You can run Windows XP, Vista, and even the public beta of Win 7 on a new MacBook or iMac. Or, by using virtual software. (Parallels, Fusion)

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
My copy of XP runs in my Parallels (3) virtual machine FASTER than it did on my Acer laptop.

I binned Bootcamp quite quickly when I realised how quick it actually was.

I ran QuarkXPress 7.0 in the virtual machine without problems or notable delays.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.