• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

avi movies

S

shyless

i have a imac g5 and i thought that i would use limewire to download movies to watch. When i download avi movies, the film comes up and it has no sound but it says their is sound in the movie properties. Yet i cant hear or see the sound levels can anyone help or explain?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
go to versiontracker.com and get mplayer.

Reaction score
You may also want to try a 'bit torrent' program for downloading movies as bit torrent works good with large files which movies usually are.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mplayer, real player doesnt play avi's that I know of, ands mplayer is far superior to vlc IMO.

OP
J

Jordan

Is mplayer the way to go? From the posts om versiontracker it sounds like it is pretty buddy yet. I would like to view avi format video is there any other (free) option for playing avi's that is a bit more stable? Or, is mplayer not that bad afterall?

Thanks,

Jordan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I notice that Im one of the few that prefers mplayer to vlc(another free media player). so I guess its my opinion, though I can tell you that the few who'vetried vlc and then mplayer because I mentioned it and they thought it sounded good have stuck with mplayer. so I guess its a personal choice and whether or not youre open enough to try something new, though I think the fact that were all using macs instead of windows boxes shows that were open enough. so its up to you, if you feel like it, try it, if not, dont. I suggest at least trying it, or youll never know theres a difference.:mac:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.