Documents on Mac

Reaction score
I am very new to the mac. Can someone tell me, is 'documents' on the mac the equivalent to 'my documents' on the PC? And is there no such thing as delete as it is known on the PC, just a backspace which is labeled delete on the Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The My Documents folder in XP held your pictures, music, and other media. It was essentially a giant dumping ground. The folders on a Mac are more like the ones in Vista where each category gets its own folder, Documents, Music, Movies, etc. Ultimately, it doesn't matter as you can go ahead and do whatever you want.

While it is labeled Delete, it is essentially functions as Backspace as you've found. To delete a file, you have to do Cmd + Delete.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Kash beat me to it.

Yes and no. ~/Documents can house your documents but unlike My Music, your Music goes in ~/Music (assuming you use iTunes) as opposed to being in a folder in ~/Documents. All of these directories are suggestions though.

~ is shorthand for your home directory.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you are using a MacBook (Pro). If that is the case, then yes, there is no "delete" (Windows equivalent) key.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo White macbook, 2GB RAM, Running OS 10.5.6
actually they are wrong about the delete key. There is a way you can get a "Delete" function like on a PC although it does require an extra key and probably your other hand. what you need to do is hold "fn" and then hit the "delete" key on your mac.

It's a little handy tip but it's probably faster and easier to hit the back arrow and then the backspace

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
actually they are wrong about the delete key. There is a way you can get a "Delete" function like on a PC although it does require an extra key and probably your other hand. what you need to do is hold "fn" and then hit the "delete" key on your mac.

It's a little handy tip but it's probably faster and easier to hit the back arrow and then the backspace
I didn't know that. You really do learn something new everyday.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.